Skip to main content

Sonos One SL in-wall setup

• 22 January 2021
  • 4 replies

I’m looking to setup a 5.1 system using an Arc, Sub and two One SLs for rear channel.

I hate the look of the rear speakers mounted on the wall, plus I don't have much space behind me as the couch is flush against the wall. I was wondering if anyone has mounted the Sonos One or SLs inside the wall? I did find this interesting mount from widgetsinc but I’m wondering how much sound I will actually be losing by doing this, even after trueplay tuning. As I understand it, the Sonos One’s are not just front facing and so being enclosed like this may be too boomy or distorted? 

I’ve also considered the alternative by simply going with traditional third party in-wall speakers and Sonos Amp to start, but don’t want to lose trueplay ability +plus cost of Amp. The sonos architectural speakers seem too expensive for what it is.

The One only has one woofer and one tweeter on the front side of the speaker, so an enclosed in-wall mount shouldn’t interfere with the sound quality. And Trueplay tuning should adjust the audio accordingly.

I found this comment from the owner of Widgets on this forum:

I am the owner of Widgets Inc and I happened across this thread. I would like to address the questions asked earlier of our Ceiling Caddy product. Our product is in stock and shipping! We designed the Caddy with attention to acoustical detail so as to not negatively impact the great audio quality of the Sonos ONE! Our Caddy has an unmodified, UL listed electrical outlet. Overall, the Caddy installs similar to a standard architectural speaker. CI dealers and end-users alike have been buying and installing our product and have been successfully using them for rears for surround zones AND as singles or pairs/stereo in distributed audio zones. I would love to answer more specific questions or concerns! Message me directly (via the community or at admin@widgetsinc.io) and I am glad to send installation our videos!

Check your wall thickness, that really looks too deep for even a 2x6 framed wall.

Just a One is going to need 5 inches of depth, a 2x4 wall is 3.5” for the stud and then .5” for the sheetrock, so 4” leaving at least an inch of speaker sticking out past the surface.

A 2x6 wall would give you 5.5” and .5” so the Sonos could easily sit flush.

Check your wall thickness, that really looks too deep for even a 2x6 framed wall.

Just a One is going to need 5 inches of depth, a 2x4 wall is 3.5” for the stud and then .5” for the sheetrock, so 4” leaving at least an inch of speaker sticking out past the surface.

A 2x6 wall would give you 5.5” and .5” so the Sonos could easily sit flush.

solid point, didn’t even consider this. If I had to guess, I have a 2x4 given it is an older home and the wall doesn't contain any plumbing. 

Sonos Does sell in Wall Speakers.