Skip to main content
Question

Sonos Gen 3 Sub Quiet

• 13 June 2024
  • 2 replies

Good morning all, very frustrated.  Long time Sonos user and have recently moved and upgraded to a new Arc & Gen 3 Sub-only had them about a week.  Having multiple issues...the primary issue being the Sub is very quiet.  I can turn it up to 15 and barely hear it.  Aside from that, the settings in the app reset sporadically (yes, I’ve read the horror stories about the app, very disappointing in comparison to the previous app) and put everything back to factory settings.  I moved up from a PlayBar and Gen 2 sub and it would shake the house down...at present, I’m lucky if i can hear it at all.  

What I’ve done to try and remedy...removed Wifi extender that was just below the Arc, hard wired the Arc for the internet rather than use Wifi (the app won’t allow me to uncheck “Disable Wifi” despite having a data cord installed).  Removed the Sonos App and reinstalled it.  Removed and reinstalled the Sub.  Unplugged power from the Arc, waited 30 seconds, reconnected.  No change.  The sub IS working...I can place my hand on the speakers and feel them moving, but the sound is way down.  An item of note, this is the same TV I had with my old setup that would blow your face off, so I’m certain it’s not a TV issue.

The most baffling part of all of this is, 2 nights ago we were watching TV and I noticed that the sound wasn’t great.  Opened the app, noticed that all the settings had been reset so I adjusted them and BOOM...the sub was smashing, the Arc sounded fantastic and it was just like old times.  The next day...the settings stayed, but the sound on the sub was down significantly and has been ever since.

The whole time for tech support is 45 mins I don’t have so hoping to fix it through this method.  

Thanks in advance gang!

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Have you tried Trueplay-ing the speakers? 

I have...I’m used to what the old system sounded like and can tell when something is off.  Trueplay made little difference...when the system, for whatever reason, decided to work properly the other night there was a significant difference.  So I know the system is ABLE to sound properly but unsure why it’s intermittent.