Skip to main content

Hi Community,

I'm currently planning my living room and would like to integrate my Sonos surround system. I own 1x Sonos Arc, 1x Sub (3rd Gen), and 2x Sonos Era 300.

Due to limited space for my entertainment area, I'm wondering if I can place my Sonos Era 300s as shown in the following photos.

My intention was to build a recess in the wall behind the couch so that the Era 300s can face outwards against the wall of the recess and reflect back to the couch. The recess should be about 50-60cm high.

Thanks for advance for your inputs.

Hi

The overall placement of your Sonos gear is fine. However the Era 300’s should not be placed in a recess. The Era 300’s use reflections to adequately reproduce Dolby Atmos and Spacial Audio for music.

Go to FAQ’s for Era 300 and download the Product manual for setup instructions.

Hi, thanks for your quick answer!

My concerns with the alternative setup, as seen in the new photos, were that the walls of the room were only 30 cm from the speaker on the left, but 330 cm from the speaker on the right. Will the Era 300s be able to compensate for this issue?

Hi

I assume there is a self of some sort behind the sofa in your most recent photo? Using Trueplay (requires a iOS device) will help equalize the sound for all speakers.

The concern I have (that I forgot to mention in my first post) is that the Era 300’s will be directly behind a viewer’s head 😳. Ideally any surround speaker is slightly behind the seating area (12 - 18 inches) and offset to right and left. IMO the most important factor is the offset to right and left even if the 12-18 inches is difficult to achieve.

It appears you may have enough wall space to move the Era 300’s further out on either side. That would be my recommendation and allow TurePlay to compensate for the distance. I might add that TurePlay is not a “silver bullet” but does help in the majority of times when used.

Thank you for your input. It gave me valuable food for thought, now i will do some replanning. I will post the solution again later.

Thank you for your input. It gave me valuable food for thought, now i will do some replanning. I will post the solution again later.

I don’t know how high the wall goes behind the sofa before it reaches the lattice work; but wall mounting the Era 300’s is an option. It assumes there may be inner bracing upon which the wall mounts could be attached. The other consideration which is more about aesthetics is having power cords hanging down from the speakers.

After much deliberation, including the idea of narrowing some elements in the kitchen behind the couch to have more space in the entertainment area, I have decided to use two Sonos Era 100s as rear speakers. I simply believe that the Era 300s are not ideal for my setup. Thanks again for the input!

Hi

I agree. The Era 100’s with dual angled tweeters and front firing mid-range will be more forgiving used inside a slight recess. Enjoy your Sonos!