Answered

Sonos Beam won’t output 1.0 monaural sound

• 31 July 2023
  • 4 replies

I have a Sonos Beam (gen 1), and recently noticed that it can’t seem to handle monaural sound. I have a number of blu-rays in mono (Dolby Digital or DTS 1.0), but the Beam won’t output the sound. If I unplug the HDMI cable then plug it back in, it does play the sound out of the left channel for a second, but then loses it again. Anybody else found this issue, or know of a solution?

icon

Best answer by ratty 31 July 2023, 10:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

What happens if you tell the BD player to downmix to PCM stereo? 

Ah yes, of course - that worked, thanks! Rather annoyingly, it still outputs the mono audio from the left side only, rather than from the centre, or from L+R together; however, at least I can hear it now! Thanks ratty, much appreciated!

Are you sure the mono track is actually recorded on both the L and R channels? If the TV’s own audio is re-enabled does sound come from both sides? Or from both channels of headphones connected to the TV, whether by wire or Bluetooth? Assuming the BD player has stereo RCA outputs you could also do a few tests there.

Good shout, I’ll do some further tests.