Answered

Sonos Beam Sound Issues

• 22 July 2023
  • 6 replies

Good day everyone. My in-laws are having a strange problem that I can’t seem to figure out. 

They own a Sonos Beam that had been connected to a Samsung TV for a few years. One day, it just stopped playing TV sound and when you ask Alexa to play music, she responds and says now playing(whatever you asked for) but the music never actually plays. I’ve updated the Beam and the Tv as well as doing a factory reset on the Beam. Today, I moved it to a different room with a different tv, same issue. I’ve been using Sonos products for years and this one has me stumped. I’m open to any suggestions. 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 27 July 2023, 16:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Did you try a different cable? - is CEC (AnyNet+ on Samsung) enabled on the TV? - Did you go through the TV setup process in the Sonos App (Settings/System/[Beam Room Name])?

Did you ensure the TV sound-out was directed to the ARC/eARC port, depending on which generation of Beam it is?

Have you also tried with the audio-out codec set to PCM stereo, just to see if stereo audio works?

As a caution, I would not do any factory resets until suggested by Sonos, they are destructive to the data being stored that may help them help you. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Can you get any sound out from the Beam - using the app to stream a radio station, for example?

I do get sound when using the Sonos app. I brought it to my house and connected it to my system, and it plays fine that way. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

The Sonos app is just a system controller. Are you saying you can get sound when streaming, say, a radio station on your system? On their system? Do you get tv sound from it on your system? 

If the answer to all 3 questions is yes, it strongly suggests it’s a tv settings issue on their tv. Might an update have pushed to their tv and it’s reset something?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @KTice20 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Assuming the Beam is still physically capable of making sound (and it sounds like it is), your initial report describes two different and unrelated issues.

The issue with Alexa can probably be resolved by disabling and re-enabling the Sonos skill in your parent’s Alexa app. Alexa app » More » Skill & Games » Your Skills (at the bottom) » Sonos » Disable Skill, then Enable to Use.

The TV is a bit more difficult - I’d certainly recommend unplugging the TV from power for at least 2 minutes to see if that helps. If it does not, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.