Skip to main content
Question

Sonos Beam Optical input no longer working

I’ve had a Sonos Beam for several years, hooked up to a system to allow me to play output from my computer. This required a bit of tinkering to get right! I had to:

• Buy a device that converts USB → SPDIF
  • Get a SPDIF → HDMI converter
  • Connect all that up so that I had USB → SPDIF → HDMI → HDMI into the Beam

Since getting that sorted it has worked great! Until yesterday, when suddenly I could no longer get any audio through this setup 😞. In all other respects the Beam works fine - I can connect to it through the app and play audio that way, and it correctly makes noises when I press the buttons.

Things I’ve tried to fix the problem:

• Unplug and replug all of the various connections
  • Reboot computer
  • Reboot Beam
  • Fiddle around with the audio output settings from my computer (as far as I can tell they are all fine)
  • Rotate the HDMI-HDMI cable

I’m pretty sure that everything is fine as far as the USB->SPDIF converter, because you don’t have an optical cable plugged in you can see the red light that the converter sends down the the SPDIF out. And nothing has happened recently that would explain why the rest of the cabling has stopped working. So I was wondering if perhaps there has been a firmware update of some kind for the Beam that might have broken this.

Anyone have any ideas what the cause might be, and what I could try to fix it?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

57 replies

Same issue. My system worked fantastic for 7yrs smashing out the sound for my projector. Had to do the latest update and instantly the sound stopped. (Optical link, audio out from projector to  Playbar)

Spent hours resetting the whole system, still nothing

Not a thing wrong with the hardware because it can stream music but that’s not what I use it for.

Please Sonos, fix this bug, and no, I’m not prepared to wait 185 minutes in your HELPLINE queue as advised today 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Was on the phone for over 45 minutes today. Same problem here. The toslink adapter that came with the Beam 2 is not working after the update. She said she never heard of SPDIF and the whole convo was literally a struggle. It worked for years and now the beam only works with eARC - which actually could lead to lawsuits if we are loud enough. Most of the products were sold with functions now removed by software. Its like they are eighter pushing half of their customers to buy the new Sonos Port or just want less customers. I’ve never felt more fucked over by a company in years. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Was on the phone for over 45 minutes today. Same problem here. The toslink adapter that came with the Beam 2 is not working after the update. She said she never heard of SPDIF and the whole convo was literally a struggle. It worked for years and now the beam only works with eARC - which actually could lead to lawsuits if we are loud enough. Most of the products were sold with functions now removed by software. Is like they are eighter pushing half of their customers to buy the new Sonos Port or just want less customers. I’ve never felt more fucked over by a company in years. 

Have you updated to the latest app version from yesterday, and have you also then run the latest firmware update for all your speakers, also from yesterday?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Was on the phone for over 45 minutes today. Same problem here. The toslink adapter that came with the Beam 2 is not working after the update. She said she never heard of SPDIF and the whole convo was literally a struggle. It worked for years and now the beam only works with eARC - which actually could lead to lawsuits if we are loud enough. Most of the products were sold with functions now removed by software. Is like they are eighter pushing half of their customers to buy the new Sonos Port or just want less customers. I’ve never felt more fucked over by a company in years. 

Have you updated to the latest app version from yesterday, and have you also then run the latest firmware update for all your speakers, also from yesterday?

Yes. Still no sound with the adapter / toslink. They removed the support. A friend from work (we sell Sonos at our shop) told me they removed support because the toslink adapter «were never intended to work with spdif». So it’s over. Time to look for other sound systems guys. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

EASY FIX !!!!!  

https://a.co/d/9RG0ZCA

add this to your computer out and your all set.  works PERFECT  !!

wait what ? i use similiar converter why its not work ?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Cheaper converters do not have PCM output.  This is the key to make the analog to digital conversion work, so Sonos can see and play it correctly.  

Userlevel 1
Badge

I already tried a digital converter and it does not work on Beam 2. I have a pro-ject optical box e phono. No sound. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

The converter I added the link for will 100% work as it has PCM output.  Same as a TV.  

Userlevel 1
Badge

Do you have a Beam 2?

The converter I added the link for will 100% work as it has PCM output.  Same as a TV.  

I’ve come across this issue as well and bought one of the converters you linked - hope it works for my beam gen 1!

Infuriating how SONOS have managed to mess things up. 

Just an update,  that converter works great! 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yes it’s a great solution !   

Yes it’s a great solution !   

Only issue is there’s some interference but I’m assuming that’s due to the “unclean” output from the line out of the PC but I’ll take this as a minor inconvenience to get it working again. 

Can’t get that here

but is this going to work ?

Converter

Userlevel 1
Badge

No. It had to have PCM output over the optical 

I m too confused, thought the Toslink is the PCM output over optical.

please help me pick one converter on amazon.au 

thanks for help

Userlevel 1
Badge

What is that a photo of ?  What device 

that photo is from previous reply, i got that from amazon.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Ok. But it’s not showing it supports PMC out of the Optical Port.   So it will not work.  

Just search for analog to digital optical with PMC support. 

@Rhodie114 
I had been using a random ADC off Amazon to connect the 3.5mm out of my PC to a Ray also. It was working fine until a few days ago when I went into the app to ungroup speakers and was forced to do the update. The only time I really use their app is to ungroup speakers, which was much easier in the old version.

Someone mentioned on another thread that they were able to get this ADC to work with the new update: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CJXNDLMW

I gave it a shot, and it does work now. Apparently, whatever they did with the update made it so that it no longer work with SPDIF signals, and it now requires PCM, which this ADC supports.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Correct.   PCM is the key. 

How about a bluetooth to optical adapter with PCM support? I tested this one Amazon.com: KAIY Bluetooth 5.3 Receiver for Home Stereo, Low Latency & HD Music Audio Bluetooth to RCA Adapter for Stereo/Speakers/Wired Speakers/Home Music Streaming Stereo System, Support Optical AUX 3.5mm : Electronics and it didn’t work. Detected the optical signal but no actual audio output.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I don’t see where it does PCM support but on a Bluetooth adapter that’s not a converter it may need a PCM signal in to give a PCM out.   you need a converter that will take any audio and make it PCM

so the latest firmware update fix the problem, its working again and I have 2 adapter now 😂