sonos beam no longer plays voices on netflix over apple tv

• 31 March 2024
  • 2 replies

I have Sonos in other parts of the house. Bought a Sonos beam and mini sub for another room. Was working fine for about a month and all of a sudden it now only plays background sounds coming from Netflix and no voices. I use Apple TV gen 4 with Netflix, loaded as an app. Paramount, prime, Apple TV, and other apps have no issue issue. Nothing has changed with my TV or the set up. Voices just stopped coming over the Sonos Beam when playing Netflix. Interesting note my TV is connected to the Internet and has an app for Netflix. Voices work just fine on that. So you would think this may be a Netflix app problem on Apple TV. However, Netflix has no settings to direct sound. So not sure where else to turn. 

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

What audio type is shown in the Sonos app when Netflix is in this state? Same question but for one of the working audio apps?

Also what TV and what are its audio settings?

Sorry. Your reply went to my junk mail. I cannot find audio type in the system. I have 3 Sonos sound systems and this is the only one affected. All different tvs. This one is a Samsung and it is plugged into HDMI. It is also now happening intermittently when playing prime videos on Apple TV as well. All apps played through the Samsung tv itself work correctly. Apple TV is just easier to navigate. 

I can hear sounds meant for backgrounds but not the voices meant for primary audio. 

all Sonos settings are default though. Not sure what they all do so I have left them alone.