Answered

Sonos Beam (gen2) Dolby Atmos not working LG G1

• 28 December 2021
  • 8 replies

Hello,

I just got a Sonos beam gen 2, but after connecting it to the hdmi arc input on the tv and setting the sound bar up with the app, I cannot get Dolby atmos to work..

when I go into advanced audio settings on the LG G1 Dolby atmos and greyed out and I can’t select it? 

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 28 December 2021, 13:02

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Yes, Atmos will be greyed-out in the TV Sound-Out settings as that relates to the TV speakers and those are not used when playing to the connected Beam (gen2)  - you need to play something from say the Netflix App, (try the Movie ‘6 Underground’) but note you need a Netflix ‘Premium’ subscription to get atmos audio from Netflix.

When it’s playing check the Sonos App ‘Now Playing’ screen for the Atmos logo (which you should also see next to the title of the Movie in the Netflix App too).

Ah okay thank you 

Just wanted to tack on a question here.

I had the exact same problem, and managed to get Dolby Atmos to show up on the app, by selecting Auto, or Passthrough, on the LG G1 “Digital Sound Out”. (PCM would give me significantly less quality audio, and would not give me Atmos on the app).

However, without the sound bar, the TV would show Dolby Digital AND Dolby Atmos on the top right logos on the TV. With the sound bar I can only get Dolby Digital on the screen, and not Dolby Atmos, even if the app says it is Dolby Atmos. Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

Looking forward to hearing from you… oh and I love my sound bar! :D

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I can imagine thta when the TV is put into pass through mode it only notices that is it is passing through a DD (+) stream. Why does this matter to you when the Sonos app acknowledges you have Atmos?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Anything streamed is in dd+ (lossy atmos) only discs are lossless atmos 

Think the providers do this due to bandwidth limitations, dd+ will appear as atmos in the app and sounds way better than 5.1 

I can imagine thta when the TV is put into pass through mode it only notices that is it is passing through a DD (+) stream. Why does this matter to you when the Sonos app acknowledges you have Atmos?

Interesting, so Atmos is included in the DD stream?

Two reasons why it matters, until I found out about the Atmos script on the app I was also one of the users that thought It wasn't working.  I can now help more users with this information.

Second reason is to provide feedback to LG. I imagine many non techy people are experiencing the same. It would not be hard for LG to implement if they can show it when the Audio is from it’s own speakers. I imagine this goes for all sound bars and it is not Sonos specific.

Anything streamed is in dd+ (lossy atmos) only discs are lossless atmos 

Think the providers do this due to bandwidth limitations, dd+ will appear as atmos in the app and sounds way better than 5.1 

The difference was mind blowing. Had a big smile on my face when I finally found it (Atmos shows up for a second or so, then disappears) :D

I have a similar question regarding my hisense tv and the gen 2, I don't have a premium Netflix account but I have been trying to test this through Disney plus. Atmos greyed out with beam connected, if I try and play something that I know has Atmos it will only show 5.1 in the available sound within the Disney app and will show in the sonos app as DD+ 5.1, if I disconnect the beam the Atmos icon will reappear in the top corner of the Disney film that I'm trying to watch, is that right? I haven't heard any mind blowing sound with bar connected yet