Sonos Beam Gen 2 not playing Dolby Digital +

• 23 January 2023
  • 8 replies

I recently purchased a Beam Gen 2 and finished setting it up. My tv is an LG UH6500 which supports Dolby Digital Plus (LG 43UH6500 | ▤ Full Specifications & Reviews (productz.com)  

I am connected via the HDMI ARC port, but when I stream a movie in Netflix/Disney Plus  (“All Quiet on The Western Front” “Starwars Episode 3”) The Sonos app only lists “Dolby Digital 5.1” instead of “Dolby Digital Plus 5.1”

Is there any troubleshooting for this? My understanding is that Netflix and other streaming services should stream in Dolby Digital + if the beam is connected through ARC, not standard 5.1

8 replies

Userlevel 7

Make sure the Digital Sound Out setting on the TV is set to Auto (or Pass Through if available) and DTV Audio Settings is set to Dolby Digital Plus.

Make sure the Digital Sound Out setting on the TV is set to Auto and DTV Audio Settings is set to Dolby Digital Plus.

Thanks! I’ve set the tv sound out setting to Auto (only other option is “PCM”) and I don’t see any DTV Audio Setting. I’m quite bummed that I can’t get it to work. LG’s official website lists this model as supporting EAC3 format so I’m not sure why it’s not working. It’s almost like the Auto function is picking the incorrect option.

Userlevel 7

Are you sure there isn’t a DTV Audio Settings option under the Sound menu? Can you post photos of the Sound menu on the TV?

Are you sure there isn’t a DTV Audio Settings option under the Sound menu? Can you post photos of the Sound menu on the TV?

Thanks for all of the support. 
unfortunately, it’s a very limited sound menu. I also checked the general menu but there were no audio options, all that is available to me is the following:

My options for digital sound out are only “auto” and “pcm”

Userlevel 7

If I had to guess, your model TV is just old enough (2016) where it can only pass through standard Dolby Digital audio through the HDMI ports.

If I had to guess, your model TV is just old enough (2016) where it can only pass through standard Dolby Digital audio through the HDMI ports.

Damn, that’s what I figured. I had checked online and saw that my model supported EAC3 so I thought it would be okay but I guess not. I guess I’ll have to upgrade the tv as well. 

Actually, now that I think about it, if I buy a fire stick 4K (which supports atmos) and play my Netflix/Disney plus through that will my sound bar play in Dolby digital plus?

Userlevel 7

Actually, now that I think about it, if I buy a fire stick 4K (which supports atmos) and play my Netflix/Disney plus through that will my sound bar play in Dolby digital plus?

Not likely, but it wouldn’t hurt to try.