Skip to main content

My Beam Gen 1 worked fine connected to an old Sony TV through the Sonos optical HDMI adapter, but was recently moved to a new Samsung QN55QN90BAF TV with eARC. I removed the optical adapter and plugged the Beam into the eARC port, but my TV doesn’t appear to recognize the connection.  Am I doing something wrong or is the Beam Gen 1 just not compatible with eARC?. 

Are any other HDMI devices attached to the TV?

2 other connections. Cable box is connected to HDMI 2, and Blue-Ray player to HDMI 1.

OK  - some progress. I discovered that in the Samsung External Device Manager menu I must have the Anynet + (HDMI + CEC) setting switched on.  With this change I was able to get sound from both cable TV and the Blue- Ray player, out of both the Beam and the two One SL surround speakers. This is with the sound controlled from the Sonos app.  Now I need to figure out how to control volume and mute from the TV (cable company) remote as well!!

Hi

As per the article in the link your TV remote should automatically work. You may have to program your cable remote to mimic your TV remote. 
https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/control-sonos-home-theater-with-your-tv-remote

Thanks for the link.  The cable Co remote doesn’t work right now so I’ll check out the article.

After a lot of fiddling around I got it, and it was actually quite simple.  I found an item in the Sonos app settings for programming the remote and followed the instructions, which involved pointing the remote at the Beam and pressing each of volume up, volume down, and mute, three times for each.  And voila. All worked perfectly.  When they work these devices are great, but figuring out the exact settings to use is another matter!!