Answered

Sonos Beam 2 but no eArc support + Nintendo Switch. Bad idea?

• 24 February 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi. 

I wanted to buy a soundbar that i would use mostly for nintendo playing and tv watching. I was oriented towards the Beam 2 but I own a 2019 Panasonic TV that only supports normal ARC. 
I’ve been reading around about the many sound issues between the beam and the switch since the latter supports LPCM 5.1 audio.
Around I read that I would have to connect the switch to the soundbar and the soundbar to the tv, but looks like the beam only has 1 HDMI port. 

Would I be wasting my money? 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 24 February 2023, 17:40

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

The configuration you’re suggesting, Switch → Beam → TV won’t work, the Switch does not create an HDMI ARC output. The electronics in the TV do that, which is why the setup needs to be Switch → TV → Beam. 

Any issues you might have with LPCM would be due to the electronic processing in the TV set, not the Beam. 

There are no Sonos devices that feature an HDMI pass through sequence. 

I think I understand you, so should I attempt to get the beam and see if it works or is there a way somehow to see if my Panasonic will give problems in advance? 

Thanks,

Silvia

Based on the population of folks who have posted here who have been successful, I would. And I would buy directly from Sonos, they offer a pretty generous return policy.