Answered

Sonos ARC with set of Era 100's plays no Dolby Atmos (only Dolby Digital Plus 5.1)?

• 4 January 2024
  • 4 replies

Hi,

Yesterday I got my two Era 100’s as a addition to my Sonos ARC. I use the 100’s as rears but ever since the Sonos app says it’s only playing Dolby Digital 5.1 and not Dolby Atmos (of course only DA content).

Before, without the 100’s and only the ARC, it did play movies and music in Dolby Atmos. Does my ARC still produces Dolby Atmos sound?

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 5 January 2024, 16:48

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

You should still get Dolby Atmos audio after adding the Era 100s as surrounds. 

What is your specific Dolby Atmos source? From what device? Did you properly add the Era 100s as surrounds in the Sonos app?

You should still get Dolby Atmos audio after adding the Era 100s as surrounds. 

What is your specific Dolby Atmos source? From what device? Did you properly add the Era 100s as surrounds in the Sonos app?

Hi, thank you for your reply.

I have a Samsung ue55nu8000 with no eARC but only ARC. I really do believe I added the Era 100s properly as surroundings (not as group), I can see in the Sonos app that they truly are surroundings.

When I look for a list of movies on for example HBO Max with Dolby Atmos and I watch them, it’s only Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 where it, as I’m almost sure of it, was streaming in Dolby Atmos before (with ARC soundbar only). 

Yesterday I removed the 100s as surrounds and it made no difference, it was all still only DDP 5.1.

The only reason I doubt if it ever really was Dolby Atmos with the ARC only is because I tested it without the 100’s and it is still no Dolby Atmos, further more I am 95% sure I really played some content (movies) in Dolby Atmos before.

Userlevel 7

HBO Max recently changed their subscription plans. You can only get Dolby Atmos audio with their “Ultimate Ad-Free” plan now:

https://variety.com/2023/digital/news/maxs-standard-plan-dropping-4k-content-concurrent-streams-three-to-two-1235778362/#article-comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@barnojaan 

For testing Dolby Atmos I always recommend AppleTV+ content. There you can (even without subscription) test the trailers and most of them are playing in Atmos. 😎

For example Monarch or Ted Lasso…