Sonos Arc SL and Samsung QLED TV Dolby Digital Plus issue

• 30 December 2020
  • 2 replies

I have a new Arc SL (Costco version), and experiencing issues connecting to a 2018 QLED Samsung TV through HDMI Arc. Previously I had a Beam+Sub+Surrounds connected. The TV sensed a proper Dolby Digital connection with the Beam. After connecting the new Arc, neither Dolby Digital nor Dolby Digital Plus protocols are available to select. Obviously, no Atmos, nor Dolby digital. Wondering if anyone has a similar issue with either the Arc SL (purchased at Costco) or with the actual Sonos Arc, standard edition. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @dhervey.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community! Let me help you figure this out.

In order to use higher resolution audio formats with Arc, you will need a TV that supports HDMI eARC, or a TV that is capable of passing Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital Plus, or Dolby TrueHD over HDMI ARC. ARC and eARC are protocols responsible for sending audio over an HDMI cable to home theater sound systems like Sonos Arc.  You may check this article that outlines the main factors that determine if your Sonos Arc can play Dolby Atmos audio. 

To check which audio codec type the home theater product (Arc) is receiving, navigate to:
Settings > System > About my System > Sonos System Info > Audio In

If you have any questions,  feel free to reach out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Please specify your actual TV model. It is unlikely a 2018 model supports eARC.