Skip to main content
Answered

Sonos Arc seems to continuously send Volume Down command over HDMI

• 4 November 2023
  • 2 replies

My Sonos Arc worked great for the better part of a year, but about an hour ago it started to continuously send Volume Down commands over HDMI - or that is at least what it looks like.

When playing streaming radio on the Arc nothing out of the ordinary happens with the sound (it works normally with a steady volume) - BUT the TV is continuously reporting volume down commands.

It doesn't seem te be the TV that causes it, as restarting it caused it to enter Safe Mode - which  normally happens when you keep pressing Volume Down. To rule out the TV remote, I removed it's batteries.Unplugging the Sonos HDMI cable results in immediate normal behaviour of the TV.

When this happens, the Sonos app also shows the volume going down. The light on the Arc flashes.

Any idea what's going on here? I created a diagnostics report; it number is 1255298220.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @joskam, welcome to the Sonos Community!

I’ve had a look in the diagnostics and can see that the volume down command is coming from the touch button on the Arc itself. I would recommend you give the Arc a clean following our product cleaning guide, as dust or dirt may be causing the touch buttons to activate.

Users have mention before that Sonos products provide a warm place for pets to rest around and on, if you have a pet it may be possible they’re the culprit and are pressing the touch buttons. If you don’t use these buttons, you can turn them off in the Sonos app.

If you’ve cleaned the Arc and are still having this issue, I would recommend reaching out to our support team for further assistance, as they have the necessary tools available to troubleshoot this issue with you.

I hope this helps!

Thanks @Jamie A for looking at my problem! It turned out the problem was with the TV after all. When the problem started to occur, disconnecting the HDMI cable between the TV to the Arc caused the problem to immediately disappear, and it reappeared the moment the HDMI cable was connected again.

Some time later (and of course *after* posting the above message), the problem also started to occur with *nothing* attached to the TV (other than the power cord obviously). Some further investigation (including finding a post on another forum by someone with the same TV brand) lead me to the conclusion that the problem was likely a transient electrical problem with the remote receiver unit on the TV (or a very persistent prankster but given the location of the TV that's highly unlikely). What solved the problem was leaving the TV disconnected from *all* cables overnight (including its power cable).

For future users finding this post: this is a Philips TV (65PUS8887/12), and when the problem was occuring its power LED was continuously flashing as if it was receiving commands from the TV remote.