sonos arc/samsung tv/apple tv 4k strange sound issue

• 12 November 2022
  • 11 replies

Hi, I know there are countless issues with this setup but fortunately I do not suffer from any of the regular problems. The issue I have is a problem mainly with the voices on any app on the Apple TV 4K, the voices especially male voice seem to be distorted almost too deep and slightly slowed down (they sound like Bane) but there are no audio/picture sync problems. If I use the tv ‘s built in apps with the same shows the problem is not there, I can only replicate the problem with the apps on the apple tv. I can solve the problem with changing certain settings on the tv but the solution is not ideal and I lose Dolby digital 5.1 in exchange for Stereo PCM with the appletv even though I still get Atmos.

The setup that ends up with distorted voices with the apple tv is

Samsung qn95a sound settings

Output-receiver(HDMI-eARC)

HDMI-eARC Mode-Auto

Digital Output Audio Format- pass-through

SONOS Arc connected to HDMI eARC

Appletv4k- sound settings.

Default audio output- Receiver speakers

Audio format-Off

Immersive audio-On

With the above settings the sound is perfect on the TV’s inbuilt apps/skyQ etc and I get the shows in their correct audio formats eg Dolby digital 2.0/5.1/Atmos etc. but I get the voice distortion on the 5.1 shows on any app on the appletv; 4k Atmos seems fine. I have tried Gen 1/2/3 appletv4k and the issue is there on all of them. To get rid of the problem I change the Digital Output Audio Format setting on the Samsung tv from pass-through to Auto and the distortion disappears but all 5.1 shows now only play in Stereo PCM but Atmos is still available.

I have changed hdmi cables and my current cables are certified 2.1 48gbps cables so I don’t think that is the problem. Has anyone else experienced this issue with a similar setup and has anyone come across a solution apart from the work around I have mentioned? Thanks in advance.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

I run pass-through on auto on my samsung. But i feel the speech instead is to high piched and not part of the same sound picture, distorted in a way. Not sure if that is what you mean by distortion but in your case it seems the other way around. Male voices get deeper and so on, i need to play around with this.

I’ve tried everything I can think of with the settings on both the tv and the Apple TV but the voices are always slightly distorted and on mine definitely deeper. Everything else (sky/tvs apps) is fine,  just the Apple TV I have the issue with. 

Unusual issue that I’ve not seen mentioned before in the various threads here. Some suggestions to perhaps consider…

Maybe see if connecting the ATV to a different HDMI port on the Samsung TV makes any difference. Also see if switching off CEC ‘TV control’ on the Apple TV makes a difference and maybe see if changing the ‘video’ (not audio) settings on the ATV might solve the audio issue too.

Note: after changing settings like ‘TV control’, also restart the ATV for those changes to take place.

Thank you I will give your suggestions a try and see if it resolves the issue with the audio on the Apple TV. 

You are not alone - I have the same issue and setup it’s as if the Chanel’s are getting mixed up and distorting the sound that you can’t quite describe 

on auto it puts it in to stereo and sounds fine - and atmos is fine 

internal apps work fine 

Yes it is obvious if you are watching something that you are familiar with and you know what the actors voices should sound like, “the old man” series on Disney+ is unwatchable in 5.1 as Jeff bridges voice is so muffled it’s unintelligible. I’ve tried every suggestion and it unfortunately did not correct the distortion but thanks for the suggestions. I’ve posted the same question of apples forum as well but no one has responded as yet. I have not updated to 14.19 yet so I’ll give that a try tomorrow and see if it makes any difference other than that it’s just hoping the next Apple TV update fixes it. 

I found it was more the sound mix that is strange - the voices are as well 

I was switching between the Apple TV app and my Apple TV to test 

only came up today as I found to much stuff was stereo only so was using the internal apps then when I changed the settings to pass through it gave me 5.1 but then the sound was all wonky 

Yes in pass through mode, internal apps all are fine skyQ and ps5 sound is as it should be and in the correct format. AppleTV 4k the sound mix is definitely out as well as the voices. 

New to the forums is there a way to flag the issue ?

and it’s nice to know it’s not just me having issues 

I have the same issu using a quality Panasonic blue ray disc player, via HDMI to a Samsung TV

Samsung QE65QN95AATXXU sound settings

HDMI-eARC Mode-Auto

All fine except when trying to watch movie or film in 5.1 Audio is lsow and channels seem reversed or distorted etc

I have the same issu using a quality Panasonic blue ray disc player, via HDMI to a Samsung TV

Samsung QE65QN95AATXXU sound settings

HDMI-eARC Mode-Auto

All fine except when trying to watch movie or film in 5.1 Audio is lsow and channels seem reversed or distorted etc

You are probably best to submit a Sonos diagnostic report when it next occurs and then contact Sonos support about the matter. Here is a link to contact them:

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact