Answered

Sonos Arc no longer connecting to Samsung Neo QN95A in Soundbars.

• 12 September 2022
  • 8 replies

• Contributor I
  • 3 replies

Hi all.

So I've had the Sonos Arc bar working perfectly with my Samsung 55” QN95A Neo QLED 4K for over a year.

Recently the the TV has started connecting to TV speakers and the green light (or any light) no longer illuminates on the arc.

It's connected via hdmi and arc port on the samsung connect box. I've tried replacing the hdmi cable from the sonos arc to connect box. Power cycled all devices, hard reset the arc bar. Deleted the sonos app, reconnected it all several times and it simply won't connect. Removed all other devices atrached to the conbect box.On the arc app on my it gives an error about can't connect check if other devices interfering, or something like that - when trying to connect the bar and TV. Hdmi Arc option is greyed out within Samsung sound settings. Tried manual configuration options within TV settings, simply can't connect the 2 devices!

Is anyone able to offer further things to try or advice please.

Much appreciated.

Mark.

icon

Best answer by B80 13 September 2022, 14:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Not sure what “hard reset the arc bar” means. Hopefully, not a e factory reset, which more often than not, obscures the issue, and should only be done when instructed to by Sonos.

You’ve certainly done a lot of things that would normally be suggested, so that helps (doesn’t really help...makes the whole thing much more mysterious). My guess is that there’s something going on with the CEC/ARC connection between the TV and the Sonos Arc. 

That could be caused by an external device connected to the TV by HDMI cable. Or possibly due to a change in the TV’s electronic’s firmware.

I’d disconnect everything from the TV set that is normally connected via HDMI. Then try updating the TV’s firmware. Once that’s done, disconnect the TV from the wall for five minutes, in order to reset the OS on it. Once it’s plugged back in, connect only the Sonos Arc to the ARC/eARC port, and see if it connects properly. Once that’s done, try connecting the other devices with their respective HDMI cables one by one, to see where you run in to trouble. At that point, see if you can turn off CEC on that particular device. 

If you don’t have the option to turn off CEC, there are certainly adapters available out there, that “block” the CEC connection, which are pretty cheap. 

All of this is based on the assumption that something is misconfigured on one of your devices, and it’s trying to “steal” the CEC connection between the Arc and the TV. CEC only allows for a single speaker “sink”, and if another device is reporting itself to the electronics in the TV set as a speaker, it’s possible that the TV set is getting ‘confused’.

Of course, that’s an outside diagnosis. You might get better response from either Samsung, who’s been known to have issues with their implementation of CEC, or from calling Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

Not sure what “hard reset the arc bar” means. Hopefully, not a e factory reset, which more often than not, obscures the issue, and should only be done when instructed to by Sonos.

You’ve certainly done a lot of things that would normally be suggested, so that helps (doesn’t really help...makes the whole thing much more mysterious). My guess is that there’s something going on with the CEC/ARC connection between the TV and the Sonos Arc. 

That could be caused by an external device connected to the TV by HDMI cable. Or possibly due to a change in the TV’s electronic’s firmware.

I’d disconnect everything from the TV set that is normally connected via HDMI. Then try updating the TV’s firmware. Once that’s done, disconnect the TV from the wall for five minutes, in order to reset the OS on it. Once it’s plugged back in, connect only the Sonos Arc to the ARC/eARC port, and see if it connects properly. Once that’s done, try connecting the other devices with their respective HDMI cables one by one, to see where you run in to trouble. At that point, see if you can turn off CEC on that particular device. 

If you don’t have the option to turn off CEC, there are certainly adapters available out there, that “block” the CEC connection, which are pretty cheap. 

All of this is based on the assumption that something is misconfigured on one of your devices, and it’s trying to “steal” the CEC connection between the Arc and the TV. CEC only allows for a single speaker “sink”, and if another device is reporting itself to the electronics in the TV set as a speaker, it’s possible that the TV set is getting ‘confused’.

Of course, that’s an outside diagnosis. You might get better response from either Samsung, who’s been known to have issues with their implementation of CEC, or from calling Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

Many thanks for the detailed response. No joy after trying that...tv firmware was up to date, but powered all off, only reconnected arc to the connect box… still not detected by the tv. I tried pressing the button in centre of arc (housed at rear of the speaker), but it just flashes red. This was after I noticed there was no illumination initially and 1st connection attempt failed. 

FYI, by hard reset, I meant reattaching power cable to the arc and holding down the button described in the above para...

Think I’m going to have to call Samsung and/or Sonos at this point.

Yea, I’d avoid doing that “hard reset” in the future, until you’re instructed to by someone at Sonos. 

Must be something I’m not familiar with. Best of luck!

Yea, I’d avoid doing that “hard reset” in the future, until you’re instructed to by someone at Sonos. 

Must be something I’m not familiar with. Best of luck!

Just been on phone to Samsung Support, with a very nice, helpful gent. Only thing was despite me saying Sonos Arc several times, he must have misheard, as we spent an hour troubleshooting before we did a video call and he said ‘Ah, Sonos product… there’s a known issue with that, thought it was a Samsung soundbar..,). Otherwise, was a one of best support experiences I had tbh, which says a lot considering he effectively wasted an hour of my free time :D.

Anyway, he said known compatibility issue at present. He checked with hardware squad and they said no eta for a fix at present, but they are aware and working on it with dev team.

Called Sonos, they confirm there is a case open with Samsung and they’re working to get it fixed, but alluded this is issue with Samsung rather than themselves...

Well, sorry to hear that there is not an immediate solution for you, but pleased that they are both aware of it, and working on a solution. 

It does seem odd, though. As far as I know, Sonos implemented the CEC standards, so that their devices would work with all TVs. Which implies that Samsung does something non-standard in their implementation.

Well, sorry to hear that there is not an immediate solution for you, but pleased that they are both aware of it, and working on a solution. 

It does seem odd, though. As far as I know, Sonos implemented the CEC standards, so that their devices would work with all TVs. Which implies that Samsung does something non-standard in their implementation.

Yeah Richer Sounds (where I bought both devices) just mentioned similar. Said its meant to be universal, so pretty poor they somehow managed to screw this up somehow...

I have this same issue. Started about a month ago with our Sony TV and our Sonos Arc. Every time the tv goes to sleep or shuts off the arc never reconnects until we unplug the hdmi for e-arc or power cycle the Sonos. Might not be an issue with your tv.

@Saiz , hat sure sounds like an issue with the CEC controller inside the TV set, which is responsible for connecting to all devices, and not a Sonos issue.