Sonos Arc loud pop then audio loss

Show first post

1200 replies

Userlevel 2

After all this, is there room for a class action lawsuit? any lawyers in the forum?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

This is probably a silly question, but have people with xbox tried configuring atmos through the dolby access app on xbox? Doing this fixed a really annoying latency issue and I haven’t experienced a “pop” in months. Not sure if it was that or something else, but figured it might be worth checking.

This just happened to me and my brand new era 300 surrounds. Did trueplay tuning and soon as it was done was getting extremely sharp loud electric pops from all 3 speakers and would not stop until I unplugged one. 

please advise on next steps. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I got my Era 300 yst, and I have put all my Sonos from sonosnet to all Wifi . And somehow I’m not getting any pop sound even playing at 4k120hz VRR on my Xbox series X

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Or maybe 15.2 firmware fixed it ? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Paul, I highly doubt that. You’d think Sonos would mention that in the patch notes considering it’s such a big deal. 

Badge +2

This just happened to me and my brand new era 300 surrounds. Did trueplay tuning and soon as it was done was getting extremely sharp loud electric pops from all 3 speakers and would not stop until I unplugged one. 

please advise on next steps. 

Jkopt, I have had the same issue with a pair of new Era 300’s. Not sure if you are also aware of this thread: 

“Sonos Era 300 Static Pop Sound”

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I spoke too soon . It happened today when I’m playing resident evil 4 with 4k 120hz VRR . Darn it !!!

sonos !! Put your act together we need this fix now !!!

otherwise I’m returning my Era 300!😡

Badge +2

I spoke too soon . It happened today when I’m playing resident evil 4 with 4k 120hz VRR . Darn it !!!

sonos !! Put your act together we need this fix now !!!

otherwise I’m returning my Era 300!😡

Indeed. Considering that many threads like these were begun over two years ago, with no appreciable effect (despite the laudable best efforts of some people here), I am not personally too optimistic. 

Dear Sonos,

Today when watching Netflix, Outer Banks, 4k and atmoss, the popping sound came by 2 times. Is there any solution to this problem? 🤔 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Pop about three minutes into The Mandalorian tonight on Apple TV.

So disappointing, no issues at all on TV native app.

would be good to get any kind of formal update, especially as this problem now seems to be with all Sonos Atmos capable equipment….

I’m done with all the issues since day one. Anyone want to buy an arc, sub gen 2 and 2-1’s?  Seriously with what I paid for the system this is unacceptable. It’s been going on for a year and a half. With no solution in sight

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’m done with all the issues since day one. Anyone want to buy an arc, sub gen 2 and 2-1’s?  Seriously with what I paid for the system this is unacceptable. It’s been going on for a year and a half. With no solution in sight

I don’t blame you, and I have serious concerns over whether this can or will ever be fixed.

The sheer number of examples here and diagnostic reports submitted must have given Sonos a clear view into what is going on. Particularly those on this thread who are able to demonstrate it on demand with Sonos engineers observing.

Luckily I have a work around in using the native TV apps, but they are not as intuitive as the Apple TV and don’t get updated as often.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Luckily I have a work around in using the native TV apps, but they are not as intuitive as the Apple TV and don’t get updated as often.

I would also urge caution because DD+ and Dolby MAT are not the same thing even though they both deliver Atmos.  DD+ is designed to be compressed for Streaming services, so quality in theory takes a hit.  How much a user can hear the difference is very subjective of course

Phillips oled tv

Arc in earc, gen 3 sub, rears are ones  

built in apps Disney or Netflix

Firestick max. Apps Disney Netflix prime. 

Randomly loud pop then crackles and arc looses audio. Sometimes rears still have audio.
Previous playbar in same setup never had a problem. 

They have to fix this… I got in touch with customer service about this issue around 2 or 3 months ago and they recommended changing the channel of the network of the Sonos system and it seemed that it did the trick for a while (at least when I used only my Xbox), but the moment I play music with Apple Music… I start getting that loud “pop” that even makes my ears hurt for a while. Today, after a while without hearing it (mainly because I had only used my Sonos system to play sound from the TV/Xbox/PS5), I tried playing music again directly from the Apple TV and it happened again.

→ Philips OLED TV (2022 model)
→ Arc + Two ONEs (one is a ONE and the other a ONE SL) + Sub Mini (it happened also when I didn’t have the Sub Mini)
→ So far it happened both with:
· Xbox Series X (when I wasn’t playing anything and there wasn’t any sound coming from the TV, which means basically when going back to Home Screen)
· Apple TV (many times), mostly when playing music directly from the Music app (or streaming music from any iOS device to the Apple TV). It usually happens when changing from one song to the other (when there’s that brief pause between songs). Normally it doesn’t happen with Youtube/Disney+ or other video apps on the Apple TV.

· It also happened when playing some movies directly from the USB stick and the TV native player. But it did happen when the content was paused.

With more than 1500€ spent on this system… I find this unacceptable (especially considering that this issue goes back to 2020)

Yep, it’s been years looking at this thread. We did a video of it too. 

Yep, it’s been years looking at this thread. We did a video of it too. 

Good that you did a video, Ovios73! Have you shared this with the Sonos team?
I mean, they must have experienced this in their tests! It’s not that hard to reproduce it…
I’m going to try to turn off CEC for all devices and see if that helps, but that isn’t obviously the solution. They need to fix this with a proper software update.

I’m starting to believe that this is very similar to an issue that the original HomePods had, where they also popped (really loud) sometimes when playing music and sometimes just a few seconds after you stopped playing content on them. Apple ended up fixing this (it took them a while...) with a software update → https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=homepod+popping&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8. There’s even a technical explanation of why that happened, so something similar might be happening with the Sonos speakers.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I’m reading in the YouTube replies on the video that some have had Sonos replace their Arc. Has anyone here had a replacement and did it help? How long had you owned your Arc when they agreed to replace it? I got mine very early on in it’s availability and the popping has been going on for nearly 2 years. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I’d like to know too because this has to be fixed soon. I don’t care if they have to replace it or release a software update. Enough is enough. 

im about to stop recommending Sonos to clients, which is quite often, if they don’t give us an update soon. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@KrylonBlue thats right ! I have enough of this *** . They kept on ignoring this issue. Telling us the engineers are working on the fix , for two years !!!! How many damn cars have already completed production in two years ?! This is such a simple fix by software , I’m going to call CS on Monday and demand my refund on my ARC that was purchased back in 2020 !

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I’m reading in the YouTube replies on the video that some have had Sonos replace their Arc. Has anyone here had a replacement and did it help? How long had you owned your Arc when they agreed to replace it? I got mine very early on in it’s availability and the popping has been going on for nearly 2 years. 

Did not help for me, they sent me a replacement arc and I still had/have the problem.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Another update for everyone.  I was struggling with pops again with my series x as I couldn’t seem to get consistent CEC control when going back to the main screen

i went back to what was working before for me, and that was disabling Dolby vision and Auto HDR and I have been pop free since then.  Full disclosure though, I didn’t have a pop when I was playing cloud gaming on my Xbox, but since the cloud controls those settings, I just decided not to use it at all

If I had to guess, it’s still has to do with HDMI settings renegotiation upon settings change.  As to why removing Dolby vision or auto HDR from the occasion fixes it…I’m not sure, maybe less things to negotiate?

I do agree with the forum though,  the silence from Sonos only makes it worse.  Step up and make an official statement to at least let your user base know where they stand.  Enough is enough

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Turning off Auto HDR on series X does make the pop go away . I’m happy now at least I can play Resident evil 4 with Atmos !! :)