Skip to main content
Answered

Sonos 3s lost on surround setup

• 17 November 2023
  • 8 replies

SONOS this is crazy - we’ve had our systems 15+ years and have 10 pieces in 2 surrounds setups and various other rooms. How do my two SONOS 3’s just disappear from our surround system? After a long time troubleshooting and looking at community posts, I’ve successfully (kind of) added them back in the room after factory resetting them independently. Now when I add them as a surround pair, I am successful until the part where the app tries to synch them together. I get the error. “Setup Problem! There was a problem preparing your speakers. Please check your network connection or the power on your products in this room.” They both are within 10 yards of the wifi network and are indeed connected to power.  What should I do next? I’m at wits end. 

Oh its worth noting too I was able to get them all working at the beginning of this effort with one connected to ethernet but it’s not an option to do that in the room with surround (nor do I want to).

I’ve already spent too much time trying to troubleshoot. It shouldn't be this hard.  Please help.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7

The wireless cards could be failing on one of the Play:3s or the sound bar they are bonded to.

Try removing the Play:3s as surrounds and unplug the sound bar and Play:3s from power for about a minute. Swap the Play:3s (left speaker is now the right speaker, right speaker is now the left). Plug everything back in and re-add the Play:3s as surrounds. If this doesn’t work, contact Sonos Support and have them run a diagnostic.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

It’s sometimes a “workaround” to connect them to Ethernet cables, then add them to the room, then remove the cables and put them into their intended location. 

There is also updates to the router’s firmware that could be blocking extended IPs, or other issues with the router’s DHCP table Note that some of these issues have nothing whatsoever to do with Sonos, they have to do with up the network, which Sonos doesn’t manage.

Thank you all! Sounds like I have some navigating to do - I’m kinda techie so may be able to deal with the IP issues but we shall see. Will update you when I have some conclusions. Right now they are working as independent speakers grouped together playing XM radio (playbar+2-SONOS3’s) I’m a little chicken to mess with it bc it works for music but may be another story once I turn on the tv lol. Thanks again!

Ok I have it working but not really as it should. I’ve rest router 2x and also removed sub (that part wasn't part of the problem- originally) I have now been successful getting everything added thru ethernet and then removed them all and plugged back in and alive in the app per Nik9669a’s suggestion - thank you. They all independently showed up. When I tried to pair the sub and playbar, wouldn't work. Same with the surrounds and also another set of 1’s that we have.  Has to be an issue with the playbar.  So the current status is that all speakers are online and I was able to attach the sub to a 3 (instead of playbar) - and then group the two 3s (again one with a sub) with the playbar. They are effectively working as a unit but not a surround sound system. The one caveat is that the SONOS system only knows the TV as TV audio cuz the playbar is only attached to it. If switching between sources I have to manually regroup them so all play the same thing otherwise 2 sources playing. It works for what we need it to today but I will need to get SONOS on the phone eventually as I think you’re right GuitarSuperstar that the playbar wifi card is failing or something in the playbar is. Thank you all - it is limping working but at least I have sound.

Two observations - stinks that we now have to deal with hardware failures...never happened with my good ol’ hi-fi Technics tower speakers and components (at least until HD TV and sound came into the pic) 🤣 AND even moreso how little base and quality sound the playbar has by itself. I dont consider myself an afficianado but man we need some base!  😫

So thankful this forum was here and active - thanks again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Any chance you disabled the PlayBar’s radio? It has to be able to use that to connect t to Sub and Surround speakers.

Sonos calls that “Disable WiFi” but it really is a master switch for the whole radio system.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Stins 

I can see from your system status page that you’re still dealing with this issue. I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

Ok thats impressive - thank you for checking in on me - will definitely call!