Answered

Should I connect Sonos One speakers via Ethernet when working as surrounds?

• 18 February 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’m planning to use my 2 Sonos One speakers as a surround pair along with Sonos Beam. (Maybe in future I’m going to invest into Sonos Sub Mini)

I can connect all 3 of them via Ethernet cable. Should I connect all of them to the same wired network or is it better to just connect one speaker in the Sonos net and let them establish a wireless network instead?

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 18 February 2023, 21:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

When connected as surrounds, the Ones are designed to communicate wirelessly with the Beam’s 5GHz radio. So just connect the Beam with an ethernet cable and keep the Ones wireless.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

And keep “wifi” on on the Beam……

Userlevel 2
Badge

Would there be any benefit to connecting surrounds to ethernet at all? Or would it actually cause issues to the Sonos net?

Not really. The surrounds are designed to work via the Wi-Fi signal from the ‘front’ system. It can be done, but I’d think to no ‘extra’ benefit.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

It would be interesting to wire a full 5.1 Sonos setup to Ethernet, Arc/Beam, Sub and surrounds then disable all the radios (shown as WiFi on the Sonos option) and see just what happens.

I don’t have a surround setup where I can easily get to all the speakers to try this or I would.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I did an experiment today with:

• Sonos One
  • Sonos One
  • Sonos One + Sonos One SL
  • Sonos Beam
  • Sonos Port

that were all connected to the same switch via Ethernet cat 5e cable. They all set themselves up to 10/100 Ethernet.

After they reappeared in the app I tried various configurations and music sources and I must say, it’s the best setup ever.

• Joining and unjoining speakers happens almost instantly. 
  • Radio starts playing within 5 seconds on all speakers.
  • Google Assistant responds similarly as previously but the Spotify playback starts immediately.
  • Sync is comparable to wifi but switching and group management happens instantly.

What I will say is that I will try to connect all my Sonos speakers over Ethernet eventually.