Skip to main content

I just purchased a Sony Bravia XR-77ACL. I have an Arc and two Era 300 speakers. When streaming through my 4k Apple TV, everything sounds great; however, my Sony Blu-Ray player has  some trouble. While I found that a few discs are labelled as Dolby Atmos and sound great, most Blu Rays play PCM 2.0. Is there any setting I can get that would help engage the Era speakers and improve audio? I’m using 2.1 hdmi cables all around and the Arc is connected to the EArc port. 

You are likely playing a DTS-encoded Blu-ray disc with a DTS-HD Master Audio or DTS:X audio track. Sonos doesn’t support these audio formats. You have two options:

1. Set your Blu-ray player to convert DTS to PCM so you get lossless PCM 5.1 audio from the Blu-ray disc. Use these settings on the Blu-ray player:
  • Digital Audio Output: PCM

• BD Secondary Audio: Off

• Audio DRC: Off

1. Set your Blu-ray player to play the core lossy DTS Digital Surround audio track from the disc. Use these settings on the Blu-ray player:
  • Digital Audio Output: Auto

• BD Secondary Audio: On

• Audio DRC: Off

Also be sure to set the TV to these settings for the best quality audio from any source:

• Digital Audio Out: Auto 1
  • Dolby Digital Plus Output: Dolby Digital Plus
  • Pass Through Mode: Auto
  • eARC Mode: Auto

Thanks. I’ll try all of that. I have a Sony blu ray player. It doesn’t have a setting for BD Secondary Audio. I made sure on all the other settings. What is the difference I’d look for on the disc between option #1 and option #2.

What specific model Blu-ray player do you have?

You can use either option for all DTS-encoded discs. Try it both ways and choose which sounds better to your ears.

It's a Sony BDP-S5500. 

The BD Secondary Audio setting should be called BD Audio Mix Setting on your player.