Skip to main content
Answered

Setting up Sonos One SL with Beam (gen 2)

• 31 January 2022
  • 6 replies

I was able to set up the surround with the Sonos Soundbar (gen 2) and 2 Sonos One SL speakers. However, when I stream older programs, the Sonos app shows Stereo PCM. and I don’t receive audio from the Sonos ONE SL speakers. When I stream from newer programs, I get ATMOS on the Sonos app, but the volume is not loud enough to notice the difference with the extra speakers.  Anyone have any comments?

Not all programs are recorded in Atmos, just because you have a Beam doesn’t automatically mean that everything is Atmos. The simple fact is there is very little Atmos encoded content out there. If it shows up at all, that means your system is working properly, but older content will be in stereo, or even mono, some movies will be in Dolby Digital, and the very random thing will be in Atmos.

You can increase the sound output from your surrounds.

In the Sonos app, within the Room settings for your soundbar, adjust the TV Level setting within Surround Audio.

Thank you for your responses.  I actually misstated my question.  When Atmos shows on the Sonos app, the Surround Sound is not working.  When Stereo PCM shows on the app  the Surround Sound is working.  Is there a setting on the TV or on the Sonos App that will allow the Surround Sound to work whether the broadcast is in ATMOS or PCM?  Does the Sonos One SL speakers support ATMOS?

@Joe Bill Yes, the One SL supports Atmos audio when bonded to the Beam (Gen 2) as surrounds.

The surround sound is probably working just fine. But with 5.1 or Dolby Atmos audio, you won’t always hear audio from the surround speakers especially during quiet scenes. The audio from the surrounds will usually be the musical score, action that is behind you, or ambient sounds. Try testing an action film with 5.1 or Dolby Atmos audio.

Check too that you have not turned off the Beam’s wifi. Surround effects are sent from the Beam via a dedicated 5GHz wifi link. Do the rears work ok with streamed music sent to the Beam? 

The Surround Sound works with streamed music.