Answered

set up of first gen speakers

• 15 October 2022
  • 6 replies

We’ve inherited a Playbase and two Play 5’s (first gen) to add to our two s-one and play 3 having not used them for a while moving house etc.

we cannot get these to show as reset and able to set up, they say we need S1 app but that insists we need to move to S2 app, the base cannot be found even after holding infinity button in. Any ideas?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 15 October 2022, 23:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I don’t quite fully understand your opening post, but putting aside the inherited products for one moment, have you already factory reset your products, or do you have the original Sonos household (One’s/Three) setup? If so, are they (were they) running on the S2, or S1, App?

Furthermore. If the HH is up and running, what firmware version do they show in the ‘About My System’? Is it v14.6 (build 69133120) next to each entry in the device list, or are they on version v11.5 (build 571231030)?

Just need some more detail before making some suggestions.

Sorry for the confusion, the gist is I amnt convinced the new speakers are resetting and I can’t find the base at all on the Sonos 2 app.

The 1 & 3 were set up, and I was using the Sonos 2 app for them.

when I try to open the Sonos 1 app now it just keeps saying I need to go to Sonos 2 and won’t let me do anything else.

I assume then that you plan to ‘split’ the entire system into two Sonos Households S1 and S2 as the Play:5 (gen 1’s) are not compatible with the S2 system. Although all your products (as long as the Ones are not One-SL’s) are able to run on one S1 system? 

So did you factory reset the Playbase and have you tried the setup of that device whilst it is wired to your router?

Meanwhile some further info that perhaps may assist you…

Note: you cannot setup a brand new S1 Household with a product that is both S1/S2 compatible, so you cannot do that with your Ones, Three, or your Playbase products - so you must use one of the Play:5 (Gen-1’s) in order to create that type of system. You may want to consider that option at some point.

Any devices that are both S1/S2 compatible (except for Sonos One-SL speakers) that have been upgraded to S2, once factory reset, can still be downgraded to S1, using the downgrade tool that’s available in the S2 App only - see this link:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/5097

So note, a One-SL speaker cannot be downgrade to an S1 HH but you are fine to do that with Sonos Ones, Three and Playbase

It’s advisable to remove the S2 App when setting up an S1 Sonos Household after downgrading the compatible products.

The above information is just in case you prefer to run ALL on one single S1 Sonos system, perhaps consider that option a little later, when you have everything up and running.

Sometimes it is helpful to wire one of the players to your network while setting up. Also, be sure to power down any S2 players as you setup the S1 system.

Thank you, all playing ball and working today.