Skip to main content

Before I completely go mad!

I’ve spent hours with Panasonic who sent me back to Sonos so I have no spoken to 3 times and have just got a new optical lead.

The sound will come through the Ray but will not stop going through the TV. I’ve tried both not using my TV remote and using my app but then there is no sound through the Ray. 
live turned off and turned down the speakers on the TV but I cannot  operate the ray with out the sound coming on the tv. I can just listen to the tv by turning down the Ray but not the other way round.

im at my end with it all.My old telly worked perfectly.

i do understand that this Panasonic is made else where than other Panasonics and I’ve checked ideas from others but nothing will.

Am I going to have to buy a new TV because of this crazy situation which is driving me slightly crazy. 
Help! 

Yeah you need a new TV, one that works correctly. Obviously Sonos have no control over where the TV sends its audio and Panasonic’s suggestion of replacing the optical lead shows that have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.

Edited as I have posted a possible solution below.

From your TV’s instructions:

System Audio Control

Allows an Audio Amplifier/Receiver to be used with the TV. The volume can be controlled using the remote control of the TV. To activate this feature set the Speakers option in the Settings>System>More menu as Amplifier. The TV speakers will be muted and the sound of the watched source will be provided from the connected sound system.

Note: The audio device should support System Audio Control feature and CEC option should be set as Enabled.

Fizzy27, I had the same issue! Installed my Ray yesterday and connected it to my Toshiba TV. (This is an old TV in my office. 9 yrs old) It works fine using AirPlay (Apple TV) but I want the Optic Cable to send sound to the bar. I called Sonos Support and they had me go to the App - select Ray and make sure that under the Home Theater section I had TV Auto Play turned on. Of course I was skeptic. Okay. Then we went through the TV Set Up on the App…hadn’t scrolled down this far in the App as I haven’t needed to with my Sonos Equipment before. Still…no sound out of the Ray.

I should note that I tried several times in the TV Audio setting so access the feature that allows me to disable TV Speakers and push audio through Optic Cable. No luck. It’s greyed out. Probably a result of the TV being old and low priced. (Again this is for my office) 

As a last step i was instructed to pull the plug on the TV and plug it back in. Stupid right? I’ve power cycled in my own efforts to remedy. Well….it worked! I now have audio with the cable on my Ray. Only problem is the TV speakers are also on. I cant disable TV Speakers in my TV Menu but I can turn the volume down to ‘0’ and turn the Sonos volume up with my App. Give it a try.

Or they could try what I suggested from their TV instruction manual?

Sounds like your issue could also not be the function to turn off the TV speakers but to assign the correct audio output setting which will turn them off automatically?

These are not Sonos speaker issues. They are incorrect TV settings. Sonos speakers simply play the audio that is sent to them.