PS5 + Samsung (old Smart TV (with HTML Arc) + Sonos Beam (gen2) and 2 Sonos One SL

• 5 December 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hello,

I guess this is a very basic question but I haven't been able to find a definite answer to it.

I have a PS5 plugged into the HDMI port of my Samsung UE55C8700 old SmartTV. My sonos Beam (gen2) is plugged into the HDMI Arc port of this same TV. Impossible to have a Dolby sound: only comes out of PCM Stereo 2.0. (the TV supports Dolby Digital plus)

Sonos Support tells me that the Beam can only output Dolby if and only if it's the TV that generates and outputs the sound (in short, if it's an application on the TV). And how to do with a bluray? Have you ever seen a TV with built-in bluray playback??? Is this a joke???

2 replies

No, it is not a joke.  That TV is from 2012, which is ancient for HDMI-ARC, and more than likely will not pass through Dolby Digital from an HDMI port.  This is a very common problem with older HDMI-ARC equipped TV’s. 

Badge

Hi @jgatie,

Thank you for your message.

So, with new TV, can we have Dolby sound from a PS5 or blu-ray player connected in the (new) HDMI (2.1) port TV and with our Sonos Beam Gen2 connected to the HDMI (e)Arc port of this same TV?

For my old TV, I'm looking for a good eArc compatible HDMI switch. I found this model: VAX04101 from FeinTech. What do you think ?

Many talk about this product: HD Fury Arcana. It seems expensive to me. In addition, you must add a switch if you have several sources ...