Skip to main content

Problem with Mesh network

• 25 January 2021
  • 5 replies

Hello, my sonos system is as follow:
1 arc + sonos One surrounds
1 Symfonisk Bookshelf
1 Symfonisk Lamp
My wifi network is a mesh one, with a Fritzbox 7530 router and one FritzRepeater 1200. Wifi signal is very strong in the whole house
Arc and Bookshelf get their wifi signal directly from the router, and work without any problem, very stable
Lamp is getting signal from the repeater, which is located 3 meters from the lamp, with no obstructions (just a door, but always open), and it is not stable at all. Sometimes I can listen to music for hours without any problem, sometimes it stop playing after a few seconds, becomes unresponsive and disappear from the the Sonos App. Usually unplugging it and the plugging again fixes it.
Any of you guys ever had a similar problem, and if so how did you manage to fix it?
Wiring any of the speaker directly to the router is not doable, I may be able to wire one to a mesh repeater, but only as a last resort

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

With a ‘mesh’ based system have you perhaps considered running your Sonos setup on its own SonosNet wireless signal instead, just by wiring one Sonos product (only) direct to your mesh primary router/hub?

The difference in the connections and how the setup works are briefly explained in this Sonos Support document:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3235

If opting for SonosNet (wired) mode, I would also suggest doing the following:

• Set the mesh routers 2.4ghz WiFi to a fixed ‘non-overlapping’ channel 1,6 or 11, that’s if your mesh system will allow that.
  • Set the SonosNet channel in the Sonos App “Settings/System/Network” so it is at least 5 channels away from your chosen router channel.
  • Remove the WiFi credentials from the "Network/Wireless Setup” in the App as those are not needed when running on SonosNet and it will stop your devices hopping between SonosNet and your WiFi signal.
  • Ensure all Sonos products, particularly the ‘wired’ device is at least 3 to 4 feet away from other Wireless devices including the router/hub and other access points.
  • This next suggestion is optional, but consider adding the Sonos IP addresses to the local routers DHCP reservation table, as that too will improve stability, particularly during updates and reboots of the local network.

Hopefully those few suggestions will assist to prevent audio/device dropouts… I also recommend checking out these two ‘hopefully’ helpful links too:

1. WiFi Interference
  2. Wireless Interference Video: Wireless Interference and Sonos
Userlevel 1
Badge

As I said at the end of my post plugging one speaker to the main router is not an option, unfortunately.

As for wifi interference I don’t think that’s a problem, wifi signal is very strong and as I can see from the router info page there are no other wifi signals using the same channel as my connection. I’ve also tried unplugging a cordless phone that was near the speaker, but nothing changed. 

As I said at the end of my post plugging one speaker to the main router is not an option, unfortunately.

As for wifi interference I don’t think that’s a problem, wifi signal is very strong and as I can see from the router info page there are no other wifi signals using the same channel as my connection. I’ve also tried unplugging a cordless phone that was near the speaker, but nothing changed. 

Do both of the Fritzbox access points use the same 2.4Ghz channel and is it ‘fixed’ on either channel 1, 6 or 11 (non overlapping) ... and are you able to change the channel-width on the 2.4Ghz band?… if so, then set it to 20MHz and see if that assists. It’s also best for Sonos if the 5Ghz band has an entirely separate name (SSID) to the 2.4Ghz band.

@ilfrance, Is there an update available for both the Fritzbox and the FritzRepeater to FritzOS 7.21 or 7.22?

Userlevel 1
Badge

@ilfrance, Is there an update available for both the Fritzbox and the FritzRepeater to FritzOS 7.21 or 7.22?

They’re both on the latest version