Skip to main content
Answered

problem with 49UM7400PLB lg tv, nvidia sheild, beam and surrounds

Hi 

my surrounds are very quiet when listening to twitch or YouTube through my nvidia sheild even when I turn the app setting to the highest volume.

If the service like twitch only sends a PCM stereo signal out then why can’t I set my surrounds as full volume as the beam!

I know you can do this through music streamed through the Sonos app but why can’t you set this for the tv optical out?

I do not want to keep pairing and in pairing the surrounds every time I want to use my nvidia sheild.

I have spent so much money on this set up and looking through the forum this has been a major problem that you still haven’t addressed.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

In your Nvidia Shield Sound Settings there is an option to upmix stereo audio to surround sound, perhaps try that option to see if it resolves your issue.

One further option is to goto the Beams ‘Room’ Settings in the Sonos App and in the "surround audio" options,  shift the ‘TV Level’ slider bar to move the TV audio output onto the two rear channels.

Thanks for your reply.

it does help a little but still not right.

Hopefully find a work around soon

Userlevel 7

From Sonos:

If the source you’re playing isn’t in 5.1 already, your Sonos home theater speakers will perform an audio up-mix of the stereo signal to create a simulated surround sound. This means you’ll still hear most audio out of the front channels, but the rear left and right speakers will play what we determine to be ambient audio. This is most obvious in action scenes and with movies that have intense soundtracks.

Twitch and YouTube only support stereo audio. And Twitch users aren’t always going to have the best microphones to be able to produce high quality stereo content. So you aren’t always going to hear a lot of ambient audio coming from the rear surround speakers. YouTube stereo content tends to be a little higher quality.

Thanks for the reply.

I see how it works now thank you.

I have turned the option to up mix it to 5.1 but the sonus app still says PCM stereo.

not sure if that’s how it’s meant to be.

plex sounds amazing tho and shows 5.1 in sonus app. Same with ps5 :)