Skip to main content

Please recommend an optical selector

• 14 October 2023
  • 4 replies

hello. I am using beam generation 1.

I don't have a TV at the moment, so I'm connecting it to my xbox via optical output. 
As you know, Disney Plus doesn't support 4k on PC. 

I wanted to use the sonos beam through my computer's optical output for Game, so I bought an optical output selector, but it didn't work properly. 

I wondered if this was because I was using a sonos optical output adapter, but the retailer said it worked fine with their product. 

Can anyone recommend a optical  output selector that is compatible with the sonos optical output adapter?  

Thanks in advance .

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @uini, welcome to the Sonos Community!

The optical adaptor that came with your Sonos Beam Gen 1 would be the recommendation to connect the Beam directly to your PC, as we can’t guarantee that any third-party device will work. You also shouldn’t need an optical switch, unless you’re using multiple optical audio devices.

If you previously tried with the Sonos optical adaptor but couldn’t get audio, then there may be some computer settings you need to change to get it working. I would highly recommend checking out our thread on using Sonos as PC speakers, as it has steps on connecting and configuring Sonos to work with your computer.

I hope this information helps!

Hello!

To connect your Sonos Beam Gen 1 directly to your PC, we recommend using the optical adapter that came with your Beam. We cannot guarantee that third-party devices will work as effectively. In most cases, you won't require an optical switch unless you are connecting multiple optical audio devices.

If you attempted to use the Sonos optical adapter but encountered audio issues, it's possible that you need to adjust some settings on your computer to make it work correctly. We highly recommend checking our discussion thread on using Sonos as PC speakers, as it provides step-by-step instructions for connecting and configuring Sonos with your computer.

We hope this information proves helpful! AN Whatsapp!!!

Thank you for your answer~!

Of course, there is no problem connecting the computer and the sonos beam with the optical adpator.

I'm asking for an optical switch(selector) recommendation because I want to connect a computer and an xbox to the sonos beam depending on the situation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Since there are many optical switches out there, I do not think you will get Sonos so far as to recommend you one. Maybe another user on this community uses one and is willing to share his experiences?

Maybe shedding a bit more light on what on the switch you already tried “didn't work properly” could help them recommend you a switch too.