Answered

play5 gen 1 not connecting

• 3 June 2023
  • 3 replies

I just moved my router and Sonos bridge to the other end of the house, we have a wifi point near the Sonos speakers but the right hand speaker is a long way from the bridge. The right hand speaker doesn’t seem to want to connect to the system. When I try and connect a new device it says there are none, the app has the left speaker plus ? in the Sonos room which had both. There is a beam next to the right hand speaker working fine. Can you reset everything somehow? The app on my iPad may have updated also, is this the cause of the problem? It was all working before my modem was moved,

any ideas?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 3 June 2023, 07:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Are these speakers set up as a ‘room’, or are they set up as surrounds for the Beam?

Temporarily wire the errant speaker to your router (not the extender device) with an Ethernet cable. See if it now shows up instead of the ‘?’. Do not factory reset or re-add the speaker. 

Thanks Bruce, I unplugged, move the speaker closer to the Bridge and router plugged in again, this prompted a software update somehow and it’s all working now. Can you set up older play5’s as surround sound to a beam now? I didn’t think this was possible.

Depends on the PLAY:5s. If they’re gen 1, then no, if they’re gen 2, or Sonos Fives, then yes.