Answered

optical audio cable to HDMI adaptor

• 9 January 2024
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
  • Contributor I
  • 5 replies

I have a Sonos soundbar with an optical audio cable and port but my Toshiba tv only has an HDMI port. What is the best adaptor cable to buy?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 9 January 2024, 18:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

What Toshiba TV model is it?

Userlevel 1

Hi Ken, it’s a 32W1333DB/ 32W1334DB LED Backlight LCD tv

That TV has a digital coax audio output (orange RCA).  Get a coax to optical converter, it will be far cheaper than an HDMI-ARC extractor. 

Userlevel 1

Hi Ken, just checked and it’s the 32W1333DB model

The two HDMI ports on that TV are input only - in other words, they do not have an ARC (audio return channel) so you can’t use those to connect the TV to the Playbar optical port. The TV though does have a Coax S/PDIF out (I believe) - so you need to use that instead.

I just looked on Amazon and found this converter, but can’t vouch for it as I’ve not used one, personally speaking. So please treat the link below as an ‘example’ and perhaps shop around online to see if there is anything better/cheaper, prior to purchase. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Proster-Converter-Dolby-AC3-Bi-directional-Splitter-Grey-Coaxial-SPDIF-Toslink/dp/B07BSBMZT7

edit: jgatie beat me to it.👍

Userlevel 1

Thanks Ken!

Userlevel 1

and thanks jgatie!

Userlevel 1

Hi Ken and jgatie - my apologies, I meant to get back to you before - to say that you were both right, the coax to optical converter works!

Many thanks for your help.