One of the buggiest electronics I've bought

• 8 December 2022
  • 3 replies

I apparently didn't do enough research on these speakers. One Arc SL, two One SLs and a sub. Constantly having issues just simply working. Have had them all for two years and about every three months, I have to re-add them to the system or delete and re-install the app or reset the speakers.

No other electronics in my house have these issues with my network. The sound quality is amazing but the constant headaches make this a bad product. My rating is a solid 3/10 and the only positives are the sound quality. The setup, the app and the reliability leave a LOT to be desired. I definitely won't look for Sonos products in the future.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sonos does need a network of constant quality. Just browsing on your iPad or PC does not. So it could be you have network problems. Have you called Sonos for help?

I apparently didn't do enough research on these speakers. One Arc SL, two One SLs and a sub. Constantly having issues just simply working. Have had them all for two years and about every three months, I have to re-add them to the system or delete and re-install the app or reset the speakers.

No other electronics in my house have these issues with my network. The sound quality is amazing but the constant headaches make this a bad product. My rating is a solid 3/10 and the only positives are the sound quality. The setup, the app and the reliability leave a LOT to be desired. I definitely won't look for Sonos products in the future.

Often after an update or power outage, the rebooting that occurs uncovers network problems. Specifically duplicate IP addresses. These will cause sporadic connections, disappearing components, etc. To solve, reboot/power cycle each of these in order:

Modem
Router
Hubs or switches
Wired Sonos components
Wireless Sonos components
Computers, printers
Phones, tablets, all other wireless devices

Note you can prevent duplicate IP addresses by reserving a permanent IP for each Sonos unit in your router setup. See your router manual for details.

Back in 2005 when I bought my first SONOS units, I initially had a lot of issues -- until I straightened out my network. I’d like to be able to brag that I don’t have issues from one decade to the next, but ARC and SL’s have not yet been on the market for a decade.

If I had the issues that you are reporting, I would not be here.

Following jgatie’s suggestion usually fixes issues that you describe.

I suggest that you refrain from Factory Reset without further consult. Factory Reset might temporarily, accidentally work through something, but it is mostly a waste of time because it does not resolve fundamental issues.