Answered

Occasional Static from Sonos Arc

• 10 April 2022
  • 5 replies

I’ve had an ARC for a while, but finally got a TV with an eARC port. When playing movies I occasionally hear static coming from the ARC. This seems to happen more often during bass heavy scenes, but that is not always the case. Sometimes it happens when people are just talking. The static seems to be coming from the ARC, and not the surrounds. 

This happens regardless of what streaming service I use (Netflix, HBO Max, Plex, etc.)

I have the following setup:

ARC+Sub+RS+LS
Apple TV 4K

Samsung UN75AU8000 

I’ve seen others with this issue and have tried the following:

• Replaced HDMI Cables going to ATV and ARC with higher speed cables (HDMI 2.1)
  • Set eARC output on TV to Pass through, Auto, PCM, etc. 
  • Reset audio/video settings on ATV and started over. 
  • Rebooted the Sonos
  • Updated the Sonos Firmware

Is there anyone who has had this issue occurring with this setup? Is there anything else I can try? The sound is SOOO good, aside from the static, which seems to occur every so often.

I have submitted diagnostic # 1769013754 in case Sonos Support sees this.

Thank you for any input.

icon

Best answer by buzz 10 April 2022, 22:32

View original

5 replies

Make sure that the TV firmware is up to date. Reboot the TV. Note that these TV’s are a little odd with respect to reboot. Remove power for at least a couple minutes. Less than this, the TV will not actually reboot.

@JPJigglesworth,

Not specifically with a Sonos Arc, but I have seen others here in the community mention they have solved such ‘static’ issues by simply switching the power outlet, or power extension lead, that the Sonos product is linked to. So maybe give that a try. HTH 

Userlevel 7

Samsung TVs with eARC are known to have connection issues with sound bars including the Arc. If you disable eARC on your TV, do you still experience the static?

Thanks for the tips. I finally got a chance to mess with it again, and I THINK the TV firmware update fixed it. I could have sworn I did that as part of the set up process but I guess not. Thank you everyone for the help!

Badge

I was getting intermittent static from my Apple TV - Samsung Frame TV - Sonos Arc-Sub-SL Speakers setup, but not when the source was my cable-box. I tried all the various suggestions from this forum to no avail. Then I tried the various streaming apps built into the Frame TV (Netflix, Prime Video, Crave, Disney Plus, Apple TV Plus, Plex) and no static/popping sounds. So clearly the Apple TV HD box is the weak link in my setup.