Skip to main content

Nvidia Shield / Playbar 1 / Projector

• 17 October 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi

I've just purchased a playbar at a really good price ( to replace my Sony TV stand with speakers)

With the Nvidia, is it best to go hdmi splitter with optical out to playbar and hdmi to projector or has anyone had experience with hdmi to projector and usb optical out from Nvidia to playbar?

At the moment I use a splitter ( as the Sony is only hd out ( whereas the projector is 4k)) but I'm getting flickering ( maybe the 10 meter hdmi cable is too long/ poor quality...or the splitter is a bit rubbish)

Thanks in advance

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

‘flickering’ as in video?  I don’t really think it makes a difference for audio what optical source you use, although I don’t know the quality of your splitter.    If your only source is the Shield, then I would probably just use the optical output from, but it should not make a difference.

If you’ve had that splitter for a while, then I would make sure the splitter is rated for 4K.  And it doesn’t hurt to upgrade the HDMI cable either.

Flickering of video and a click sound from the projector colour wheel.

The hdmi from splitter to projector is premium, but a bit long.

My main query is if anyone has tried the usb optical out from nvidia, if this works correctly, then I can remove the splitter and shorten the distance with the hdmi to the projector

I got a smilar setup, i connect the projector with an hdmi over ethernet adapter basically it carries the hdmi signal over normat cat5/cat 6 cables and then back to hdmi, supposedly better than very long hdmi cables.