Answered

No sound out of a Sub Mini

• 26 December 2023
  • 7 replies

I have a Beam soundbar and a sub mini. It shows both as connected on the app but there is no sound coming from the sub mini. 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 27 December 2023, 03:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

What source are you playing? How have you determined there is nothing coming from the Sub Mini? Have you adjusted the volume of the Sub in the Sonos controller?

I am using an optical audio cable for the input. If I remove the sub and reinstall it I get the tone that it is ready but then we get no sound when playing anything   Yes, I have adjusted the sound volume. 

No, sorry, I wasn’t asking how it was connected. I was trying to ask what source you were testing with. Essentially, I’m asking if you’re testing with a stereo source, or a 5.1 source. Especially important when you’re talking about a connection via optical. What does the Sonos ‘now playing’ screen show? Is it PCM, 5.1, or stereo?

It shows stereo PCM

So, you probably need to change the settings on this unknown type of TV, and likely the thing that is feeding it, in order to get the TV to be sending something other than a stereo signal, preferably a Dolby Digital signal. A 5.1 signal would normally include that .1 signal, which is defined as LFE (Low Frequency Energy) which would get directed to the Subwoofer. 

The reason you need to tell the TV and whatever device is feeding the TV is because an optical connection, unlike an ARC connection, is one way only. The Sonos is not able to tell the TV what signals it can process. Your TV must send an appropriate signal. It’s much much easier when you connect with an ARC across HDMI signal.

Okay. That makes sense. I will give that a try. 

Same thing here. No sound from the sub.  To schedule a call with the technical support level takes months… so frustrating. 

Waisted entire saturday trying to configure the system and still it’s not right.