Skip to main content
Answered

No DTS on Blu Ray or 4k Blu Ray discs

• 29 July 2023
  • 7 replies

I have a Sonos ARC which I understand was recently updated to play DTS.  My TV is a Vizio PX75-G1 with ARC, not eARC, where Sonos is connected.  On Blu Ray and 4k Blu Ray discs the Sonos downgrades to stereo no matter what I try (including setting to TV to Auto, PCM, Bitstream, Dolby Digital).  My player is Oppo with audio output set to Auto.  

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

You need to tell your Oppo to convert audio to DTS, Sonos (or your TV) can’t convert audio formats. (This assumes your Vizio can pass DTS).

Userlevel 7

@allansolomon Set the Digital Audio Out setting on the TV to Bitstream. Set the HDMI Audio Format setting on the OPPO to Bitstream too.

What Blu-ray discs are you testing?

That worked!!  Have been listening to Les Miserables and Ben-Hur on Blu-ray, thanks again!

Have another question.  I have a Sony UBP X800 4k blu ray player and am using same TV. Vizion PX75-G1 with ARC.   Am having same problem of Sonos ARC downgrading sound to stereo.  Have tried bitstream setting on the TV but unfortunately the Sony player, unlike the OPPO which does not play 4k discx, does not have a bitstream setting or any obvious way to change the signal.   Any help appreciated, thanks.

Userlevel 7

Have another question.  I have a Sony UBP X800 4k blu ray player and am using same TV. Vizion PX75-G1 with ARC.   Am having same problem of Sonos ARC downgrading sound to stereo.  Have tried bitstream setting on the TV but unfortunately the Sony player, unlike the OPPO which does not play 4k discx, does not have a bitstream setting or any obvious way to change the signal.   Any help appreciated, thanks.

Set the Sony Blu-ray player to these settings:

Digital Audio Output: Auto (for Dolby discs), PCM (for DTS discs)

BD Secondary Audio: Off

Audio DRC: Off

Thanks again but none of the above worked. On the Sony have set Digital Audio output to PCM and Audio DRC to off, no option for BD Secondary Audio.  On older blu rays like the Fugitive I am able to get 5.1 Dolby Digital.  On  4k Blu Rays can get 5.1 in othe languages but still defaults to stereo on the DTS audio setting for English, apparently as I have not found one yet that has 5.1 Dolby Digital available as alternative to DTS which the Sonos, despite what I have read, does not seem able to decode.  Very frustrating!

Userlevel 7

Keep the Digital Audio Output setting on the Blu-ray player set to AUTO and you should get DTS Digital Surround audio from DTS discs.