Skip to main content

No Dolby Digital 5.1 Sound with Apple TV, ARC and LG CX

• 8 July 2021
  • 5 replies

I have the following configuration:

TV: LG CX with eARC, bitstream, passthrough all enabled.

SPEAKERS: Sonos Arc w/ sub and 2 SLs (5.1 system w/ Dolby Atmos)

APPLE TV 4k (2021): Audio Settings are Auto/ Dolby Atmos On

* all HDMI cords are new 8k ultra high speed 48 Gbps

When watching cable or the LG TV's native apps I'm getting Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 or Dolby Atmos.

Now when I watch any app on the Apple TV (Netflix, HBO Max) and it's a show in Dolby Atmos it works great, I get Dolby Atmos. When I then switch to a show or movie that's not Atmos compatible i get no sound at all. The only way I get sound is going into the Apple TV settings and changing the audio settings to "change sound/ Dolby Digital 5.1". The shows will be in DD5.1 now but the Atmos wont work.

What's going on here? It's a pain to change it all the time. Does anyone have a fix?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7

Does your TV have the latest firmware installed? What other options do you have on your TV’s settings other than bitstream and passthrough?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Does your TV have the latest firmware installed? What other options do you have on your TV’s settings other than bitstream and passthrough?

Yeah latest firmware for tv, Sonos and Apple TV. I also have a pcm. If I change it from pass through I usually get lip sync issues.

Userlevel 7

Is there a DTV Audio Setting on your TV? What is it set to?

If you set Passthrough to Auto, what audio do you get from Dolby Digital Plus content?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Is there a DTV Audio Setting on your TV? What is it set to?

If you set Passthrough to Auto, what audio do you get from Dolby Digital Plus content?

I don’t believe I have a DTV audio Setting. When I set it to auto i get:

• Cable box: Dolby Multichannel PCM 5.1 instead of Dolby Digital Plus 5.1
  • AppleTV Netflix App - Dolby Atmos is Dolby Atmos
  • AppleTV Netflix app: DD5.1 says Dolby Mulichannel PCM 5.1 instead of Dolby Digital 5.1

Which is better Dolby Multchannel PCM 5.1 or DD5.1? I just upgrade to the arc, when I had the beam I would get lip sync issues when I set it to auto so that’s my hesitation.

Userlevel 7

Keep the setting on Auto. This will give you the best quality audio you can get from the Apple TV 4K.

The Apple TV 4K uses Dolby MAT so anything encoded in Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 will play as Multichannel PCM 5.1 audio out of the Arc.

For your cable box, I’m not sure which audio format is better. I imagine they would both sound pretty similar.