No Atmos with Firestick 4K Max

Badge

Hi, I’ve just purchased a Sonos Arc but i’m having trouble getting Atmos from Netflix via a Fire Stick 4k Max.

I have a premium Netflix subscription and all settings are at their highest.

I have Sky Q so i’m able to get Atmos from Sky Movies from the Arc so i know that it does work from that source.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

42 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi, I’ve just purchased a Sonos Arc but i’m having trouble getting Atmos from Netflix via a Fire Stick 4k Max.

I have Sky Q so i’m able to get Atmos from Sky Movies from the Arc so i know that it does work from that source.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks

I have the exact same setup.  How are your components connected together?

For reference I’ve included below a diagram of my setup. (The Arana HDFury is because my TV doesn’t have an eArc port.)

Hi. Exactly how are the Sky box and Firestick connected to the TV?

Is there any other app on the Firestick that has Atmos?

Is there a Netflix app on the TV?

What make and model is your TV?

Badge

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks

For reference I’ve included below a diagram of my setup. (The Arana HDFury is because my TV doesn’t have an eArc port.)

I have the Arc connected to the ARC HDMI of the tv, Sky Q to a normal HDMI and the Firestick in another HDMI.

I don’t understand why Sky Q gives me Atmos but the Firestick doesn’t?

Badge

Hi. Exactly how are the Sky box and Firestick connected to the TV?

Is there any other app on the Firestick that has Atmos?

Is there a Netflix app on the TV?

What make and model is your TV?

Hi John, see my previous response.

I just got the firestick yesterday so not sure what other apps to try as i only subscribe to Prime and Netflix.

There is a Netflix app on the tv but i believe it doesn’t supply Atmos.

The tv is a Samsung UE55MU6470 from 2017.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks

I have the Arc connected to the ARC HDMI of the tv, Sky Q to a normal HDMI and the Firestick in another HDMI.

I suspect that your Sky Q is connected to an HDMI eARC port and your Firestick to a plan HDMI (The plug shape is exactly the same)

An HDMI Switch would solve the issue: I use this one - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07PDVQD12/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edit: Have you tried swapping the ports and test if that changes which provides Atmos?

Badge

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks

I suspect that your Sky Q is connected to an HDMI eARC port and your Firestick to a plan HDMI (The plug shape is exactly the same)

An HDMI Switch would solve the issue: I use this one - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07PDVQD12/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don’t have eARC and the Sonos is connected to the ARC HDMI.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Something else to test with your current connections:  Have you tried using Netflix on your Sky Q box - this will rule out the source and confirm a connection cause.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks

I don’t have eARC and the Sonos is connected to the ARC HDMI.

Not all TV’s are equal!  To get mine to work I had to use an Arcana HDFury device which splits the Audio to the Arc and the Video to the TV, rather than relying on the TV pass through.

Badge

Something else to test with your current connections:  Have you tried using Netflix on your Sky Q box - this will rule out the source and confirm a connection cause.

Netflix via Sky Q apparently doesn’t provide Atmos.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I have Netflix on both so you may well be correct - I’ll test this now!🤓

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You are correct!  I just happen to normally use Netflix on my Fire Cube and so hadn’t realised.  Try swapping the cables anyway and see if that makes a difference.  I have a great 4k 3D TV but without eARC and I had to use the Arana HDFury device to get mine working.

Badge

You are correct!  I just happen to normally use Netflix on my Fire Cube and so hadn’t realised.  Try swapping the cables anyway and see if that makes a difference.  I have a great 4k 3D TV but without eARC and I had to use the Arana HDFury device to get mine working.

Switching the cables round doesn’t work either.

So i have device that is providing Atmos (Sky movies via Sky Q)

And a device which isn’t (Netflix via Firestick 4K Max)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The only other thing that is different with my setup is that I upgraded my Firestick 4K to a Fire Cube before Atmos content was available.

Userlevel 7

@Andyghfc Set the TV to these settings (if available):

HDMI Input Audio Format: Bitstream
Digital Output Audio Format: Dolby Digital Plus

Be sure to set the Surround Sound setting on the Fire TV Stick to Best Available.

Also, log in to your Netflix account on a web browser and go to your Account settings. Under Profile & Parental Controls, go to Playback Settings and make sure Data usage per screen is set to HIGH.

Also be sure to play the ORIGINAL language audio track.

Test the film Don’t Look Up on Netflix and let us know what audio format the Sonos app displays.

Badge

Be sure to set the Surround Sound setting on the Fire TV Stick to Best Available.

Also, log in to your Netflix account on a web browser and go to your Account settings. Under Profile & Parental Controls, go to Playback Settings and make sure Data usage per screen is set to HIGH.

Also be sure to watch the ORIGINAL language audio track.

Test the film Don’t Look Up on Netflix and let us know what audio format the Sonos app displays.

Yeah all that is already at exactly what you say.

Sonos app still shows Dolby Digital Plus 5.1.

Userlevel 7

Try testing the film The Tomorrow War on Prime Video and let me know what audio format the Sonos app displays.

Badge

Try testing the film The Tomorrow War on Prime Video and let me know what audio format the Sonos app displays.

That shows as Atmos on both the Prime tv app and on Prime on the Firestick.

Userlevel 7

Are you 100% sure it is a Fire TV Stick 4K MAX or just a regular Fire TV Stick 4K?

Try deleting and re-installing the Netflix app on the Fire TV Stick. Also be sure the Fire TV Stick is up to date.

If this doesn’t work, either Atmos isn’t supported on Netflix on that Fire TV Stick model or Atmos is just temporarily not working on the Netflix app.

Badge

Are you 100% sure it is a Fire TV Stick 4K MAX or just a regular Fire TV Stick 4K?

Try deleting and re-installing the Netflix app on the Fire TV Stick. Also be sure the Fire TV Stick is up to date.

If this doesn’t work, either Atmos isn’t supported on Netflix on that Fire TV Stick model or Atmos is just temporarily not working on the Netflix app.

Yeah i just bought it yesterday knowing i needed  the Firestick 4K Max as it has to be on FireOS 7 to provide atmos for Netflix.

Firestick is up to date. Tried deleting and re-installing but still only showing as Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 when trying to watch ‘Don’t Look Up’.

Would be good if someone else could confirm if Netflix is working on the Firestick 4k Max for them.

It’s strange that Prime is working fine.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi

I’ve read conflicting reports that Atmos support on the Fire TV Stick 4K Max is restricted to Amazon and won’t work with Netflix.  Have you tried testing Amazon Prime videos - Jack Ryan Series three?

Badge

Hi

I’ve read conflicting reports that Atmos support on the Fire TV Stick 4K Max is restricted to Amazon and won’t work with Netflix.  Have you tried testing Amazon Prime videos - Jack Ryan Series three?

Yeah Prime videos work fine, i get Atmos on that.

As far as i am aware you need at least FireOS 7.0 to be able to get Atmos via Netflix on any Firestick which i have on my Firestick 4K Max.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi

As far as i am aware you need at least FireOS 7.0 to be able to get Atmos via Netflix on any Firestick which i have on my Firestick 4K Max.

An example being this Amazon Forum

https://www.amazonforum.com/s/question/0D56Q00008SiGN3SAN/dolby-atmos-not-working-for-multiple-apps-on-fire-tv-stick-4k-max

Badge

Hi

An example being this Amazon Forum

https://www.amazonforum.com/s/question/0D56Q00008SiGN3SAN/dolby-atmos-not-working-for-multiple-apps-on-fire-tv-stick-4k-max

Thanks for that. May just have to send it back and get Apple TV instead.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

My Fire Cube works...

Badge

My Fire Cube works...

I get the impression that Apple TV may be more reliable!