Skip to main content
Question

New SONOS app will no long group Play 3 with Beam sound bar!

I have a Play 1 (in my office) a Play 3 near my reading chair in the living room and a Beam Sound Bar also in the living room.  Prior to the new controller updates, I could pair the Play 3 with the Sound Bar so I didn’t have to crank the Sound Bar up for the entire room.  If the new app can still do that, it’s no longer obvious as how works now.  Every time I try pair it to the TV, it still wants to play the radio station it was originally connected to,

10 replies

Tap the button circled below then select the speaker in the list. Does this work for you?  

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

In Sonos terminology you probably “grouped” rather than stereo “paired” them. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I tried that.   It still wants to connect to the radio station.

@Caver,

In the App you need to select the grouping the other way around.. so ungroup your two rooms and starting with the Living Room Beam group the Play:3 to your Beam. I think you’re doing it the other way around. When done, then press the "TV” icon in your Sonos App under “Your Sources” and the TV will play on your Play:3 aswell as the Beam.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks.  Tried that.  No dice. I never had this issue with the old app.  I could swap output on the fly every night and stream every morning to all.   Sonos messed this up big time.

Thanks.  Tried that.  No dice. I never had this issue with the old app.  I could swap output on the fly every night and stream every morning to all.   Sonos messed this up big time.

Well it’s working okay here for me - I can use the App to group any speaker with my TV/Beam and both happily play the TV audio, but if you cannot get things to work then it maybe best to first reproduce the issue, then immediately submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support via this LINK to discuss the matter in detail and see what the Staff can perhaps then suggest to resolve the matter.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thank you. That was the plan come Monday.  

Cheers

Thank you. That was the plan come Monday.  

Cheers

No worries, hope you’ll come back later and let us know how you got on. 👍

Yup they sure did mess this up this new app is buggy AG. Basic things that used to work no longer do. Hopefully things get back to normal in the months ahead. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

First, thanks to all who took the time to try and help solve this issue.   Sometimes you have to start from scratch to work through the problem.  I had the TV and the Beam both playing the TV output and would add the Play 3 while watching TV.  I disabled the TV output and allowed only the external Beam to be used, voilà! I was able to add the Play 3 while watching TV.  I have no idea how or why it worked with both TV outputs with the older app but I’m satisfied with the fix.

cheers