Skip to main content
Answered

New LG + Sonos Arc setup doesn't play in Dolby Atmos ? Huh?

• 21 March 2022
  • 6 replies

All setup with my new LG TV and Sonos Arc.

Now let’s watch a movie in Dolby Atmos and hear all the greatness.

1.) LG Setup with Sonos Arc via eARC 

LG 55” 4K qThin (Costco purchase) HDMI 2 == eARC (to Sonos Arc), HDMI 1 == Apple TV Plus 4K 

2.) Neflix updated with Premium package.

Netflix Premium HD Package

3.) Startup a Netflix movie that has Dolby Atmos

Dolby Atmos audio movie - resume play… then…

4.) What does the Sonos S2 app say the audio is …? Huh?  No Dolby Atmos? 

Sad - No Dolby Atmos - bummer. 

5.) I sent two diagnostics into Sonos while playing a movie that should display sound in Dolby Atmos.  Confirmation #: 430796926. Didn’t capture second one. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

For Netflix, go to to Account > Profile & Parental Controls > Playback Settings online. Needs to be set to High.

Userlevel 7

@clintjorgenson Make sure your TV settings are set to this:

HDMI Input Audio Format: Bitstream

Digital Sound Out: Pass Through

eARC: On

Also be sure that the Change Format audio setting on the Apple TV is set to OFF and Immersive Audio is set to Dolby Atmos.

Solution:

1.) I disconnected HDMI 1 to the Apple TV Plus 4K.  

2.) I signed into LG TV Netflix app and played the same movie as above.

3.) Sonos S2 app now says “Dolby Atmos”.  Cool. But, not cool it doesn’t work through Apple TV Plus 4K… guess I’d need two eARC connections?  Hmmm ??

Dolby Atmos played straight through LG Smart TV app / Netflix 

Userlevel 7

You don’t need two eARC ports. If you set the TV and Apple TV 4K audio settings to what I posted above, you should be able to get Dolby Atmos audio from the Apple TV 4K.

@clintjorgenson Make sure your TV settings are set to this:

HDMI Input Audio Format: Bitstream

Digital Sound Out: Pass Through

eARC: On

Also be sure that the Change Format audio setting on the Apple TV is set to OFF and Immersive Audio is set to Dolby Atmos.

LG Sound settings are correct.  I’ll plug back in Apple TV Plus 4K and check it’s settings. I’ll let you know what up after testing. 

Plugged Apple TV Plus 4K back in and went to settings as you mentioned.  Dolby Atmos was disabled and only enabled once I turned off top setting.  Interesting.  All good now.

Yeehaw, Thanks!

Result: Fired up the same movie on Netflix.  Sonos S2 app displayed “Dolby Atmos” as sound.  Nice.  

You don’t need two eARC ports. If you set the TV and Apple TV 4K audio settings to what I posted above, you should be able to get Dolby Atmos audio from the Apple TV 4K.

I did set Apple TV Plus up as you recommended and as you know - it worked / cheers … I don’t have two eARC ports.