My System lost connection to Xfinity Gateway and cannot get it to connect again

• 21 June 2021
  • 3 replies

I have the following equipment that was connected to my Xfinity Gateway fine until Friday June 18

Sonos Beam, 2 Sonos SL surrounds, Sub Woofer 3

On Saturday June 19, I tried to play SiriusXM like I do everyday and it couldn't connect. I checked the sonos app and my System was grayed out. This has happened periodically so I tried to follow the instructions to reconnect the system to my network with no success (this also has happened before).

I have repeatedly reset the Xfinity Gateway modem (Both manually and through the Xfinity app)

I have unplugged all of the Sonos components and deleted and downloaded the Sonos app to start fresh 

I can successfully connect the Beam to the app, but it fails every time when trying to connect to my network 

All my other devices (iPad, 2 computers, 2 phones) are connected to my network we with no issues 

I've run diagnostics on the network and modem and everything checks out fine 

I cannot reconnect my speakers no matter what I try. Is anyone else having this issue with Xfinity? Has something charged over the weekend  (either with Sonos or Xfinity)? I need help. Thanks 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @monty95 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

When trying to connect the Beam to your XfinityWiFi, does the Sonos app show your WiFi in the list of networks to connect to?

Yes it did. However I did solve the problem by following some other suggestions listed here. I connected the beam to the router with a cable, then everything else connected fine. I still don't understand why it wouldn't connect via wifi, or why I lost it to begin with, but at least I have my System back. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @monty95 

Yes it did.

Good - that means you aren’t being affected by an issue we’re aware of.

However I did solve the problem by following some other suggestions listed here. I connected the beam to the router with a cable, then everything else connected fine. I still don't understand why it wouldn't connect via wifi, or why I lost it to begin with, but at least I have my System back. 

Good to hear wiring was an option for you.

Without more information, I can only guess, but my guess would either be that you need to separate your 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands into separate names (SSIDs) to prevent band steering (your router might be trying to get your Beam to connect to 5GHz, but it won’t as it needs the 5Ghz radio for direct connections to the surrounds and Sub), or the Beam was trying to connect to 2.4GHz while your smartphone was connected to 5GHz (not normally an issue except sometimes at the precise moment of trying to teach Sonos the WiFi password).

There’s some more information on band steering in my Troubleshooting Sonos on WiFi article: