Answered

My beam disappeared from android app but available on the Mac app

• 17 October 2022
  • 7 replies

Hey there,

My beam is not visible from the android app, but it’s still working, if using the TV the audio comes from it, and if I use the Mac app or group it via the Sonos voice assistant, it connects and plays music.

I have unplugged the beam both from the TV and power, but I still have the same issue. I’ve also restarted my phone and nothing.

any ideas?

icon

Best answer by 4ndr01d3 19 October 2022, 11:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Yes, the Sonos controller uses SSDP multicast to find/discover the players on the LAN - something is likely preventing the communication packets getting through - Is the mobile perhaps connected to a different access point/band/channel, or is there any security software running on the controller, like VPN, firewall etc?

Sometime you may find closing the Sonos App fully and disconnecting/reconnecting the network connection ‘might’ sometimes resolve the matter too.

Hey Ken,

Thanks for answering.

Nope, I don’t have a VPN or firewall on the mobile. What actually makes it more intriguing to me is that other devices do appear in the device, and can be controlled without any issues.

I did try closing the App + putting the phone in aeroplane mode and didn’t work. I even restarted the phone with no luck.

Do you have a central based router? Any other wireless access points etc?

Yeah, it’s a single central router. I live in a flat and that gives me enough coverage. I have been using that setup for more than a year and this is the first time I have had an issue. 

Also, the fact that I can still play music on the Beam if I use the Mac application, tells me that the Beam is indeed connected and receiving packages. TBH I’m more suspicious of the android App, It seems that I have the latest version, from 14 Sept 2022, but not sure when it actually got updated on my mobile. I’m out of the house at the moment, but I’m thinking my next step is to uninstall, delete the cache in the phone and install it again, and see if that fixes it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

What router? Sounds like your Beam is using a different frequency to your phone (2.4 vs 5), and some routers are too dumb to pass SSDP between frequencies. You can check this on your router admin page which should show what each device is connected to.

This also explains why other devices are fine: something is different about your Android network connection.

Solutions are a better router, or SonosNet.

Mhh that sounds promising @controlav  I’ll play with the router setting once I get back.

I have the router that my ISP gives me (vodafone) I don’t really know the exact version.

Thanks for the suggestions!

What a surprise, the old off-and-on again worked… in this case the thing to turn off was the router. 

I thought that by disconnecting both phone and beam I would get the same outcome as turning the router off, but boy I was wrong! Hope it doesn’t become a regular issue, but at least I know now what to do.

Anyways, thanks @Ken_Griffiths and @controlav for all the help.