Multi channel pcm from ATV sounds poor on Arc

• 31 December 2022
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I'm trying to use my Apple TV. It outputs PCM (multi channel) for many programs on Netflix etc, but it also outputs Atmos fine when encoded . The built in app on the Sony TV does Dolby digital plus.

The built in app sounds miles better. The multi channel PCM sounds dull, flat and lifeless.

Others have tested and have pointed at the Arc and it's reproduction of multi channel PCM.

Is there a fix en route, or does the Apple TV go in the bin?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Can’t you change the output of the ATV?

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

No, it outputs PCM for non Atmos sources. Or you can change a setting so it outputs DD but no Atmos.

No, it outputs PCM for non Atmos sources. Or you can change a setting so it outputs DD but no Atmos.

Any fix here? Same issue that Multichannel PCM sounds soft compared to DD+5.1

I have same issue, is anyone from Sonos team looking this issue. 

i have set volumen to 70+ to hear properly multichannel PCM sound or convert to DD+ 5.1 in ATV.

Any fix here? Same issue that Multichannel PCM sounds soft compared to DD+5.1

No fix yet

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Mine plays Dolby Atmos dd+ on movies I have bought and did on other apps before I downgraded to ad supported subscription 

I get 5.1 on prime,Disney and Netflix on my gen 3 Apple TV with atmos enabled in settings 

maybe a setting on your tv is causing it I have an lgb8 oled tv for reference 

Mine plays Dolby Atmos dd+ on movies I have bought and did on other apps before I downgraded to ad supported subscription 

I get 5.1 on prime,Disney and Netflix on my gen 3 Apple TV with atmos enabled in settings 

maybe a setting on your tv is causing it I have an lgb8 oled tv for reference 

No its not TV issue. 

I do get dolby atmos if content is in native dolby atmos, when i covert to DD+ 5.1 using ATV i get DD+ 5.1 also.

Only problem when i don’t convert multichannel non dolby atmos (ATV passthrough) then arc shows multichannel 5.1 PCM , which is actually a raw and lossless but sonos does something sound comes very dull.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Ok sorry to hear that but I leave my settings on atmos and on non atmos content I get 5.1 Dolby 

I never convert the signal on any app

I have never had 5.1 pcm ever on any content on my Apple TV maybe because I don’t have earc just arc as my tv is older 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@princeindia_17 

Sadly this is Apple logic made by design. As every encoded multichannel audio signal in the end is a multichannel pcm signal (that usually just has got a lower volume level but same audio quality) that’s the „best choice“ signal for ATV, if there’s no atmos audio track. But as @skullc said, that can’t be dine without an eARC connection. 
https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/supported-home-theater-audio-formats

So in his case just using ARC there’s no multichannel pcm output. 

If you like DD5.1 much more the only way on ATV with an eARC TV is to force DD5.1 audio via ATV audio settings and to switch back for atmos.