Answered

Mixed wired / wireless theatre

• 17 October 2023
  • 7 replies

I’ve done the searching and I’m pretty sure I know the answer is no… but I thought I would check incase something has changed. 

• Setup - Sonos Arc, Sub Mini & Amp. 
  • The Arc & Mini are in an area with no ethernet. 
  • The Amp is connected to some in-ceiling speakers and the cable runs back to a rack room in our basement. 
  • The Amp is in the rack room so it has access to wireless & ethernet but is not in direct wireless range of the Arc

Is there anyway to get the surround sound setting working in this setup without re-wiring the house. 

icon

Best answer by nik9669a 17 October 2023, 09:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Communication to surrounds is on a dedicated 5Ghz link, so if the Amp is out of wifi range I think you’re out of luck! 
Moving the Amp and running some more speaker wire sounds like the easiest option? 

It will fall back to an Ethernet connection, I think, but then you’re back to re-wiring the house. 

Sorry…the connection between the Arc and the Amp and Sub will fall back to an Ethernet connection. The Arc still needs to be connected to the ARC output of the TV set. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Have you tried using a HomePlug extender to get a wired (plus wireless) extension from the Basement to other parts of the House?

Ethernet over Powerline is not supported by Sonos. Its latency and bandwidth is extremely variable. In a home theatre context this would be even more hazardous than usual, as there’s minimal buffering in the system to preserve TV lip-sync.

Personally I would just use the Sonos Amp and ceiling speakers as a separate Sonos ‘Room’ for music audio purposes only and stick a couple of Sonos speakers in the same physical room to ‘bond’ to the Arc instead - Era 100s or 300’s etc. That would save the hassle of re-wiring and would likely sound better anyway, if the rear surrounds can be set at head height when seated. A bit more expense, but far less bother.

It will fall back to an Ethernet connection, I think, but then you’re back to re-wiring the house. 

Thanks, originally we had a different layout and the Arc, Mini & Amp were all wired which worked well but then we re-arranged and no ethernet near the TV for now (until renovations happen)

Personally I would just use the Sonos Amp and ceiling speakers as a separate Sonos ‘Room’ for music audio purposes only and stick a couple of Sonos speakers in the same physical room to ‘bond’ to the Arc instead - Era 100s or 300’s etc. That would save the hassle of re-wiring and would likely sound better anyway, if the rear surrounds can be set at head height when seated. A bit more expense, but far less bother.

Unfortunately not possible as there is no power behind the couch. We are Inner West in Sydney Australia, so think quirky, double brick, no roof space terrace house.