Skip to main content
Answered

Is it worth upgrading from Playbase to Beam Gen 2?

• 23 April 2024
  • 5 replies

I have a Sonos Playbase, Sub and 2x Play 1s for my home cinema setup. 

I’ve been curious about Dolby Atmos, which is compatible with my TV but not the Playbase.

I get decent surround sound by using AirPlay but I was wondering if it could be improved by replacing the Playbase with the Beam 2nd Generation to get Dolby Atmos. Is it worth the upgrade?

Thank you!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Hi

If you are interested in Dolby Atmos for movies and music the answer is yes. However, to be sure I suggest you addition the Beam2 in your home and return it within the return window if not satisfied. Sonos in the US offers a 45 day return window. 

The Beam2 is only the first step to enjoy Dolby Atmos. Adding Era 100’s are an improvement over the Play 1’s and adding Era 300’s (which are Dolby Atmos capable) provides full immersion into Dolby Atmos content.

And, you may want to fold in exactly how much Atmos is really available in your thought process. 

PLAYBASE will have more bass.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Isn’t AirPlay stereo only?

Badge +2

Beam Gen 2 does not have a physical overhead channel, its Dolby Atmos is virtual. If you want to experience better Dolby Atmos, I recommend you to buy ARC. Of course, the premise is that the movie you play must have Dolby Atmos channels. As for whether to upgrade the surround speakers to Era300, you can hold off for now. Except for the lack of Dolby Atmos, the sound quality of Playbase is not worse than Beam Gen2.