• 12 May 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I currently have the following components in my Living area:

ARC

Sub Gen 2

Two Sonos Ones

I just ordered a pair of ERA 100’s to replace the Sonos One’s and realized I dont know how to change them out. The Sonos Ones are currently set up as Rear Surrounds for the ARC/Sub and when playing music are set to “FULL”. Is there a way to remove the Sonos Ones, and replace them to be used in the same way that the Ones are being used? Also, can I then use the Ones in a different location? 

Thank you for any help! :) 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Yes. Remove / disassociate the Ones as surrounds, they’ll move to new “rooms” automatically, then you can put them wherever you want. Then you can add the Era 100s as new ‘rooms’, then move them to surround speakers. That will leave you with the surround system, and two Sonos One’s that you can do with what you wish. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Yes. Remove / disassociate the Ones as surrounds, they’ll move to new “rooms” automatically, then you can put them wherever you want. Then you can add the Era 100s as new ‘rooms’, then move them to surround speakers. That will leave you with the surround system, and two Sonos One’s that you can do with what you wish. 

Thank you! They are set to arrive on Monday, so I will keep updated!

Never feel silly for asking questions.  Lots of people get stuck on configuring this stuff.  The biggest hangup we see is trying to add a stereo pair as surrounds.  They need to be two separate rooms before you can add them as surrounds.  Note: Don’t worry about the names you give the rooms when you add the 300s to the system.  They will take on the Arc room’s name once they are added as surrounds.  As to the Ones, you can rename them to whatever room you move them to by going to Settings > System > (Room name) and tapping on the room name to edit. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Never feel silly for asking questions.  Lots of people get stuck on configuring this stuff.  The biggest hangup we see is trying to add a stereo pair as surrounds.  They need to be two separate rooms before you can add them as surrounds.  Note: Don’t worry about the names you give the rooms when you add the 300s to the system.  They will take on the Arc room’s name once they are added as surrounds.  As to the Ones, you can rename them to whatever room you move them to by going to Settings > System > (Room name) and tapping on the room name to edit. 

Thank you! I'm adding the 100’s. I was thinking about the 300’s, but I like to keep them kinda hidden, and from what I have read, that can mess with the sound and function of the 300’s. I was thinking of using the Sonos One’s that are being replaced at my work?

Userlevel 4

I was initially fired up about the 300s, until I learned about the playback problems when they are used as surrounds. I might be interested in replacing my Ones with a pair of 100s instead. I am getting pretty good results with my Oppo 103 played through my Arc, Sub 3 and Ones, especially since I have resurrected the 103 to play my lossless files. I am likely to configure an older Mac mini as a Roon Bridge, running the HDMI out to the Oppo and on to the Arc. Please post your results with the new speakers! Thanks!

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Replaced the Sonos One’s with the ERA 100’s this morning, and they sound much better! I actually notice the clearer high notes, and midrange clarity than anything else. Yes, the bass is much improved too. Piano, Horns, Guitars, higher voices etc., sound clear and clean and not so “muddy” if that makes sense. Will try out later tonight with a movie. 

Userlevel 4

Replaced the Sonos One’s with the ERA 100’s this morning, and they sound much better! I actually notice the clearer high notes, and midrange clarity than anything else. Yes, the bass is much improved too. Piano, Horns, Guitars, higher voices etc., sound clear and clean and not so “muddy” if that makes sense. Will try out later tonight with a movie. 

I am moving towards this decision, especially with Sonos dragging its corporate feet about the 300s

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I am moving towards this decision, especially with Sonos dragging its corporate feet about the 300s

The way my system is set up, the location of my souround speakers doesn't allow for the space the 300's need. So far, after a movie, my wife even noticed the difference between the One's and the ERA 100's. I'm happy with the upgrade.