Answered

I am very disappointed with Sonos

• 23 October 2023
  • 19 replies

I am very disappointed with Sonos, because I spent 1700€ for an ARC soundbar and a subwoofer.

And now I find myself with a system that works badly, because I have a Connect Amp from 2014. Something I have to control with App1 and something else with App 2.

If I don't have my phone I can't adjust the volume of the associated speakers via cable.

If I had known that I have to spend another €500 to be able to control the volume with the TV remote control, I would never have bought Sonos!

Then I don't understand, you do a promotion to solve your problems but you force me to spend more, why don't you give me a refurbished one with a discount.

I spent all this money, thinking of buying the top I find myself in an embarrassing situation, either I spend more money or I sell everything, because it's not manageable like this.

has anyone solved differently?

icon

Best answer by jgatie 23 October 2023, 17:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

I don’t quite understand.

• The S1 and S2 apps can both be installed on your phone at the same time.
  • The Arc (S2 app) setup procedure should have helped configure your existing TV remote. 

There’s no need to splash out another €500.

i cannot control the volume of my speakers, which i have installed via cable, with the TV remote control.
I have to go into app 1 to adjust it.
drives you crazy, if you place the TV on mute they keep going....

i cannot control the volume of my speakers, which i have installed via cable, with the TV remote control.
I have to go into app 1 to adjust it.
drives you crazy, if you place the TV on mute they keep going....

Are you’re talking about the Connect:Amp and the S1 app then? How is the TV getting a signal to it? 

the 2014 connect amp does not allow the volume of the cable speakers to be adjusted.
they do a 30% discount promotion, to solve their problems, but they don't make you buy a refurbished product.
so if I don't want to spend more than 500€ I'm left with a product that works badly.
if i knew beforehand i would never have bought the arc or the sonos subwoofer

Kindly clarify. It sounds rather as if you have:

• TV connected to Arc (+ Sub) via HDMI. This runs S2 and is controlled by the TV remote
  • TV wired to the Connect:Amp Line-In via RCA. This runs S1 and has to be controlled by the app (or the buttons on the front).

And you’re somehow listening to TV on both the Arc and the Connect:Amp at the same time? Is this correct?

the 2014 connect amp does not allow the volume of the cable speakers to be adjusted.
they do a 30% discount promotion, to solve their problems, but they don't make you buy a refurbished product.
so if I don't want to spend more than 500€ I'm left with a product that works badly.
if i knew beforehand i would never have bought the arc or the sonos subwoofer

So presumably you control the Arc/Sub volume, perhaps with one, or more, of these things…

• TV Remote
  • S2 Sonos App
  • Alexa voice assistant
  • Sonos voice control 
  • Google Assistant
  • Hardware buttons

…its not an exhaustive list either - there are other 3rd party ‘remote’ device options to adjust the volume too

The older S1 C:Amp volume can be controlled with…

• S1 Sonos App
  • A different voice assistant or account, including Google/Alexa - with a VA hub.
  • Hardware buttons 
  • 3rd party ‘remote’ device with hub - checkout the older IKEA Tradfri remotes - they are still available on eBay and similar sites.

Why are you using the Connect:Amp for TV audio when you have the Arc?  That makes no sense.  Not only are you not getting surround sound, it’s going to lag behind the Arc, causing an echo effect.  

exactly, when you listen to music you have to decide: sub and arc or loudspeaker because both together don't work.

exactly, when you listen to music you have to decide: sub and arc or loudspeaker because both together don't work.

Well we know that, one is S1 only and the other is S2 only.  Nothing anybody can do about that.  Still doesn’t answer why you are using both for TV audio, when the Arc/Sub are playing the exact same thing as the Connect:Amp, and you will get no surround information.

• TV connected to Arc (+ Sub) via HDMI. This runs S2 and is controlled by the TV remote
  • TV wired to the Connect:Amp Line-In via RCA. This runs S1 and has to be controlled by the app (or the buttons on the front).

And you’re somehow listening to TV on both the Arc and the Connect:Amp at the same time? Is this correct?

exactly, when you listen to music you have to decide: sub and arc or loudspeaker because both together don't work

Well we know that, one is S1 only and the other is S2 only.  Nothing anybody can do about that.  Still doesn’t answer why you are using both for TV audio, when the Arc/Sub are playing the exact same thing as the Connect:Amp, and you will get no surround information.

would they only leave the arc on when they watch movies? turn off the speakers behind the sofa? do you think it gives a better sound?
but when i listen to music i can't turn on both at the same time

exactly, when you listen to music you have to decide: sub and arc or loudspeaker because both together don't work

They can’t work together because they’re entirely different systems. One is S1 and the other is S2. 

They can’t work together because they’re entirely different systems. One is S1 and the other is S2. 

but if I buy the new amp this will be solved right?

would they only leave the arc on when they watch movies? turn off the speakers behind the sofa? do you think it gives a better sound?

Personally, I would think it’s terrible sound.  Hearing voices behind you that are supposed to be coming from the screen is not surround sound.  For proper surround sound, you would need an Amp.  That would make the surround channels into actual surround channels.  

but if I buy the new amp this will be solved right?

Yes. The Amp would be part of the same system as the Arc. You could then combine it with the Arc as a single ‘room’, with the Amp driving the surround speakers. 

Personally, I would think it’s terrible sound.  Hearing voices behind you that are supposed to be coming from the screen is not surround sound.  For proper surround sound, you would need an Amp.  That would make the surround channels into actual surround channels.  

so the sound only comes out of the arch and sub and the loudspeakers (they are not behind but on the side, I misspelled) you wouldn't even turn them on?

so the sound only comes out of the arch and sub and the loudspeakers (they are not behind but on the side, I misspelled) you wouldn't even turn them on?

If the speakers are not surround speakers, no I would not turn them on.  The direction of the voices and the echo from the delay would drive me bonkers.

If the speakers are not surround speakers, no I would not turn them on.  The direction of the voices and the echo from the delay would drive me bonkers.

That my Situation 

Those are supposed to be surrounds, not just repeating what comes out of the Arc, but delayed.  No, I would not group those with the Arc and Sub.