Skip to main content

HT placement Couch surrounded by 3 walls

• 9 October 2023
  • 5 replies

Hey all !

I own 1x ARC, 1x SUB, 2x ONE SL and 2x ERA 300,

I found out that i can’t add more than 2 surrounds speakers in Sonos’s ARC setup,

Some topics talked about adding my 2 extra surrounds speakers in an other group in sonos’s app and sync the 2 group, my first question is, has anyone already tried it and does it work in a HT setup/TV use ?

Whatever the answer is, my real issue is about surrounds speakers placement and my couch 

Room Layout :

You’ll find on the picture bellow how is set my room with ARC, SUB & 2x ONE SL :

The couch is approximately 3.20m long on the part facing TV and 3m long on the other side,

I can’t really get it off the wall, since the room isnt that big and walls are kinda blocking the way, it’ll just look weird, 

The ARC is bellow the wall mounted 55” TV, the SUB in the corner and the 2 ONE SL are facing the TV and are on floor stands,

What would be the best placement for the ERA 300 and the ONE SL (if I can find a way to add it in the HT setup) ? Wall Mounted or floor stands ?

Any advice is appreciated, thank you !

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Hey all !

I own 1x ARC, 1x SUB, 2x ONE SL and 2x ERA 300,

I found out that i can’t add more than 2 surrounds speakers in Sonos’s ARC setup,

Some topics talked about adding my 2 extra surrounds speakers in an other group in sonos’s app and sync the 2 group, my first question is, has anyone already tried it and does it work in a HT setup/TV use ?

If you ‘group’ one or more Sonos Room(s) to your existing HT setup, there is a TV audio delay to the group, in the region of ~75ms - so if the speakers were placed in the same physical room then you may notice an echo effect in the room. There are however tools in the Sonos App that can allow you to buffer/delay the HT audio output to bring the playing group into sync, but that may, in some cases, cause a lip-sync issue with the video on screen - this may, or may not, be noticeable to the viewer/listner. Note this only applies to TV-audio - All music-audio will play in perfect sync to all speakers (when playing via a mobile App etc.)

Whatever the answer is, my real issue is about surrounds speakers placement and my couch 

Room Layout :

You’ll find on the picture bellow how is set my room with ARC, SUB & 2x ONE SL :

The couch is approximately 3.20m long on the part facing TV and 3m long on the other side,

I can’t really get it off the wall, since the room isnt that big and walls are kinda blocking the way, it’ll just look weird, 

The ARC is bellow the wall mounted 55” TV, the SUB in the corner and the 2 ONE SL are facing the TV and are on floor stands,

What would be the best placement for the ERA 300 and the ONE SL (if I can find a way to add it in the HT setup) ? Wall Mounted or floor stands ?

Any advice is appreciated, thank you !

Personally speaking, I think you have enough speakers in your HT setup already to fill your room with both TV and Music audio - so my thoughts are to maybe use the remaining speakers in other areas of the Home instead.

Thank you for your reply, 

I think I'll try with both ONE SL and ERA 300 and if it isn't working well I'll sell the two ONE SL,

What will be the best placement for the surrounds speakers with :

- only 2x ERA 300

- 2x ONE SL + 2x ERA 300

Should I consider moving the couch forward in ordre to place 2 surrounds behind it despite the room will be "weird" ?

It’s a matter for you what looks best and sounds okay, personally I would just leave the Soundbar, Sub and One-SL’s as per your diagram, see attached. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

You could use a Sonos Amp to drive four surrounds.

How that would sound is a good question.

@Stanley_4 I made some search and it looks like AMP isn't compatible with dolby atmos 

If I'm correct, if I want dolby atmos in my HT I must link the 2x ERA 300 with the ARC

I got the 2x ERA on this purpose so it looks like it's not a solution in this case