Answered

Home Theatre - Configuration question

• 17 May 2021
  • 3 replies

I read most of the posts on this topic but still a little unclear on the Sonos Components required. Currently have regular Paradigm in Ceiling Speakers ( for Rears), a Paradigm Powered Subwoofer. and a newer Sony TV. Mostly stream and use a media server to watch TV and movies. Also have an older Sonos Playbar. In order to use my existing components I assume all I need is to buy a Sonos amp, connect my TV (via HDMI), plug into the sub port and connect my rears all to the AMP. Would this be correct and would it work and will the Sonos be able to “tune” the room? Of course the Soundbar would be my Fronts and Center (for now) and can I assume nothing needed to plug into the soundbar other than power?. Any assistance appreciated. Thanks, John

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 17 May 2021, 23:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

You basically have two options:

OPTION 1 (no Paradigm sub):

• Playbar connects to TV via HDMI ARC.
  • Sonos Amp powers Paradigm in-ceiling speakers for rear surrounds.
  • Purchase a Sonos Sub to connect wirelessly to the Playbar to complete the 5.1 setup.
  • Trueplay is supported with all speakers in this setup.
  • NOTE: When the Amp is being used to power a pair of surround speakers, it disables the Sub output on the Amp.

OPTION 2 (no Sonos Playbar):

• Sonos Amp powers a pair of new speakers (to act as front left and front right channel speakers) and the Paradigm sub.
  • A second Sonos Amp powers Paradigm in-ceiling speakers for rear surrounds.
  • Trueplay is not supported in this setup.
  • NOTE: This setup is only a 4.1 system with a phantom center channel.

Personally, I would go with option 1.

Interesting and thanks very much for the reply. Just curious if  I could use my Sub and Rears connected to my Onyko Amp and have the Play bar as my Center and Front using the Optical connection from the Receiver? I assume I would not get Trueplay then?

Userlevel 7

The Playbar must be connected directly to your TV’s optical port, so it cannot work together with your Onkyo amp to create a 5.1 setup.