Skip to main content

High Expectations?

• 25 October 2023
  • 5 replies

So I bought the Arc and used trueplay, like others I’m not getting any sense of height watching Atmos content. Ceiling is 8 feet high and flat and I’m sitting 6 feet away Arc is 6 feet from ceiling. I plan on adding rear speakers but not a sub as the room may be too small, any ideas? and are the rear speakers worth getting?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

The effect is definitely more noticeable when you have surrounds (and even more if you have Era 300 surrounds).  Also, the content matters.  Try downloading one of these:

https://www.dolby.com/ja/about/support/guide/downloadable-dolby-atmos-trailers/#gref

Put it on a USB stick and plug it into your TV.  These showcase Atmos content.  Also, 6 feet away with an 8 foot ceiling may not be optimum.  I have 9 foot flat ceilings and sit 10-11’ away, my Arc is about 2 ½ feet from the floor on a TV stand.  The effect is pronounced.

Thanks so much for your help, I’ll give this a go and will definitely get rears for it soon as I want a more immersive setting.

Thanks so much for your help, I’ll give this a go and will definitely get rears for it soon as I want a more immersive setting.

As a Sonos user, I too recommend the Era 300s for rear channel audio - they sound great with the Arc & Sub.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’d not rule out a Sub, I have a Beam and One surrounds with a Sub in a 10x11 foot room and I’m much happier with the sound, both music and TV with the Sub playing.

If doing it today I’d likely go with a Sub-mini for that room but it wasn’t available then.

The spouse has assured me that I am not getting a Sub-mini for the Beam (it needed a new home when I got my Arc) that I have in our 5x7 bathroom, even though it would sound awesome cranking out some E. Power Biggs or Virgil Fox organ.

I agree with others. Adding a sub (full size or mini) will greatly improve your experience. The low-end will be removed from the Arc allowing it to focus more on Mids and Highs and especially vocals (i.e dialogue for movies).