here’s why I think i need a remote for my beam 2

• 19 September 2023
  • 3 replies

For late night listening, or for improved hearing needs, I have wireless headphones which connect to the TV via optical, and an optical out (converted to hdmi) to the beam. Since there is no hdmi to the beam via the hdmi/arc port, I can’t program my remote to work. So, I’ve ordered a simple remote to control the volume on the beam. Yes, perhaps I can control the volume via the sonos app, but that requires even visitors to have access to my phone - here or asleep or not. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

The TV’s remote should be able to be switched to IR, and achieve what you need, without buying a new remote. 

Depends on your TV manufacturer, but it should be feasible, you may just need to do some intense scrutiny of the owners manual.

The TV’s remote should be able to be switched to IR, and achieve what you need, without buying a new remote. 

Depends on your TV manufacturer, but it should be feasible, you may just need to do some intense scrutiny of the owners manual.

My main source (say 99%) is Nvidia Shield, which does not have volume control on the remote. I could use the TV remote, but since I would only ever use it for volume and it’s a bit cumbersome (3rd world problems), I tend to use an ikea remote instead. TV remote stays buried in the arm chair compartment.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Voice control could be an option too...