Help to placement of 2 sonos one

• 22 February 2023
  • 14 replies

Hello everyone,Can you tell me what is the best placement option to put two sonos one high against the wall.I don't know if it's better to install them on the side 1st option like in the picture or 2nd option behind just above the sofa in height.of course they will be tilted for a direction to the listening areaTHANK YOU

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

https://www.galaxus.ch/de/s1/product/flexson-wandhalterung-fuer-sonos-one-und-play1-single-1-stk-wandmontage-lautsprecher-staender-wandmo-6878304

Here is what I want to install them with, I can tilt them downwards at 15 degrees for both instalation and sideways also at 40° if the recommation is the 2nd option i paint in a picture

What is the purpose of these speakers? Primary L/R? Surround?

In any case if the speakers are very close to the couch, listener position will become more important. For example, if peakers are placed on end tables immediately adjacent to each end of the couch and a person is seated at either end of the couch, the nearby speaker will dominate. A person seated in the center of the couch will experience balanced sound.

What is the purpose of these speakers? Primary L/R? Surround?

In any case if the speakers are very close to the couch, listener position will become more important. For example, if peakers are placed on end tables immediately adjacent to each end of the couch and a person is seated at either end of the couch, the nearby speaker will dominate. A person seated in the center of the couch will experience balanced sound.

I have the sonos arc and a sub, so I wanted to add two speakers for surround ,but I only have these two options to install and I don't know which is preferable, knowing that as you say the sofa is not in the center of the room so  one side will be unbalanced

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I have my surround speakers to either side of my seating position due to room shape and as long as I run truplay from my main seat it works acceptably well 

To put them behind me would entail rewiring for power so I make do and to be honest it works well

And they are just above head height rather than at ear level hope this helps 

I have my surround speakers to either side of my seating position due to room shape and as long as I run truplay from my main seat it works acceptably well 

To put them behind me would entail rewiring for power so I make do and to be honest it works well

so no matter what position I show in the photo, with trueplay it should work fine anyway.  it just has to play with the wiring too.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

so no matter what position I show in the photo, with trueplay it should work fine anyway.  it just has to play with the wiring too.

I would go with option 1 but put the one in the corner right in the corner and you can turn the speakers to get best result 

Then when they are in position do truplay it won't be ideal but it will be acceptable 

I have even stood behind my seat and the surrounds and still get the effects 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

It's a bit like sitting in the back row of the cinema 😳

It's a bit like sitting in the back row of the cinema 😳

On the corner like this but more higher and on the back or couch 

Or like this lateral of the couch but with inclinate 

This one is like the option 1 i have in my mind 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Dam you have a lot of speakers 😜

2nd picture I would go with play around with the swivel direction if that makes sense 

I had a separate system before sonos with 2 behind 2 to the sides and 5 speakers at the front with 2 passive subs and I prefer the sonos over that

To be right the TV is at the front in 2nd picture where you are taking the pictures from?

2nd picture I would go with play around with the swivel direction if that makes sense 

I had a separate system before sonos with 2 behind 2 to the sides and 5 speakers at the front with 2 passive subs and I prefer the sonos over that

it's google photos it's not mine 😂 but ok it's better to place them sideways rather than behind and tilt them downwards in a direction towards the listening area

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

it's google photos it's not mine 😂 but ok it's better to place them sideways rather than behind and tilt them downwards in a direction towards the listening area

In theory yes but try both go with what you prefer 

Sounds subjective for all of us but the 2 rears need to be opposite the TV and soundbar 

In theory yes but try both go with what you prefer 

Sounds subjective for all of us but the 2 rears need to be opposite the TV and soundbar 

Thanks for your help 

Userlevel 7

Hi @mikael1208 

If possible I’d move the couch to the right to allow enough space to place a speaker on a 36 inch stand in the corner and matching speaker on the right at same height.  Anyone seated on the short side of the couch is going to be hard pressed to enjoy perfect surround in any setup so; I wouldn’t overly concern myself with that seating position.

Those seated on the long side will get decent surround effects assuming the speakers are tuned using TruePlay (requires an iOS device). Of course the center position will be the sweet spot. However, rarely are all listeners in perfect center as one speaker will always be slightly dominant (right or left). 

Using a Sonos Arc (with side and upward firing speakers) will compensate for a lot of surround sound inequities due to rear speaker placement for all listeners; including those seated on the short side. A Beam 2 will offer forgiveness as well; but not as much as an Arc. Include a Sonos Sub and you have a great setup (IMO).

Hope this gives you another viable perspective to consider. Enjoy your Sonos!

Hi @mikael1208 

If possible I’d move the couch to the right to allow enough space to place a speaker on a 36 inch stand in the corner and matching speaker on the right at same height.  Anyone seated on the short side of the couch is going to be hard pressed to enjoy perfect surround in any setup so; I wouldn’t overly concern myself with that seating position.

Those seated on the long side will get decent surround effects assuming the speakers are tuned using TruePlay (requires an iOS device). Of course the center position will be the sweet spot. However, rarely are all listeners in perfect center as one speaker will always be slightly dominant (right or left). 

Using a Sonos Arc (with side and upward firing speakers) will compensate for a lot of surround sound inequities due to rear speaker placement for all listeners; including those seated on the short side. A Beam 2 will offer forgiveness as well; but not as much as an Arc. Include a Sonos Sub and you have a great setup (IMO).

Hope this gives you another viable perspective to consider. Enjoy your Sonos!

Thanks for your help.  unfortunately I can't move the sofa because I didn't draw but on the other side there is a table and I don't have room to place everything.  so the two options i have is the one i draw